Olympic opening ceremony

Forum for all multichannel discussions (SACD, AV etc) and Movie discussions.
Lindsayt
Nauru

Re: Olympic opening ceremony

Unread post by Lindsayt »

And the running order of the BBC 1 highlights show is even more predictable than Match of the Day. You can be sure that they will show any Great Britain gold winning events first, followed by the silver, then the bronze then the rest. So on Sunday night I knew that there was no gold in the womens 400m freestyle because they showed the silver medal winning road race cycling first.

applemarc
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by applemarc »

Yep all very nice but now I have to go to work via Stratford let's see how I feel when I get home tonight also be good if we could win the odd gold medal.
Beresford Caiman Ipod

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

I am bored already with it, especially at looking at crowds wanting tickets and venues full of empty seats.

Daniel Quinn

Unread post by Daniel Quinn »

I remain - as usual - conflicted :D

there is so much wrong with it - cost , IOC corrupt cartel , power of the sponsors , captial centric [ it is london 2012? ] ,sycophantic coverage , costs of tickets is a bloody disgrace , corporate corruption , traffic lanes , orwellian regulation .

but , ones heart fills with joy to see people who have applied themselves with dedication , skill and determination winning medals . setting aside the lottery that is a persons physicality it is perhaps the finest example of a meritocracy .

Lindsayt
Nauru

Unread post by Lindsayt »

Yes, my heart was filled with joy at the dedication, skill and determination shown by 16 year old Ye Shiwen when she won the 400m Individual Medley swimming in a World Record breaking time, with her swimming the final 50m faster than Ryan Lochte could manage when he won Gold in the same event for the men.

Of course, chemical enhancements had nothing to do with her performance. It's not as if Chinese swimmers have ever been caught using banned substances, have they? :liar:

Daniel Quinn

:mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Arggh , I forgot to put cheating in my list of all thats wrong with it . :angry-screaming:

thanks lyndsey for humourously destroying my arguement :lol:

the jurys still out , but there's no reason not to expect her to get caught if she was :obscene-smokingweed:

applemarc
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by applemarc »

I am correct in thinking most of the East German coaches ended up going to work in China.
Beresford Caiman Ipod

Daniel Quinn

docfoster's comments were excellent and I liked them a lot.

but I have thought of another negative issue :subjective scoring by judges favouring home nation or allies , this as been notorious in the past and it looks like we may cash in on it . first medal in gymnastics in 102 years and royals etal on horses .

there's an argument for banning all subjective scoring sports , but im willing to bet that we will win more medals dependant upon judges than first past the post . As I write this it is 2 each and as far as i'm aware this has not happened previously in modern times . £10 anyone . :D

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Public phone votes are the worst - look at the European Song Contest, it is a joke - no contest just an exercise in which peoples people like and don't like.

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Everyone seems to have missed this :occasion-olympics: