DVD audio player

Forum for all multichannel discussions (SACD, AV etc) and Movie discussions.
Macca
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: DVD audio player

Unread post by Macca »

I have an SACD player. I have a number of hybrid discs. I don't hear obvious differences, nor do I get a grainy sound from the red book layer.
Studios use higher bit rates to give them room to do various production processes without losing too much dynamic range. It has no bearing on plauback. In the many blind tests done using the same masterings no one has been abke to reliably identify the difference. I have my reservstions about blind tests but if the differences were so obvious this would not be so hard to do even under test conditions. If the added noise above 22 KHZ is adding something beneficial then it is a tiny difference at best.

The analogy to digital phitography is erroneous. Digital music does not work like digital camera or vifeo. You do not get more pixels per note. It is just a waveform, it cannot be made more detailed. All hi rez does is give wider potential dynamic range and higher bandwith. It will not make a tambourine sound more realistic. A hi rez photo of the tambourine will look more real, motedetailed. But it is a completely different process.
Re the steve whatisisname recordings how are you sure the cd version has not been deliberately hobbled? If they are so obviously different then that is the most likely explanation. Or are you using different playback equipment for the two mediums?

As for hi rez recordings transferred to vinyl we are verging on the ridiculous. Vinyl does not have anything like the bandwith or dynamic range of red book cd. Any advantage of hi rez playback there is must be lost. It cannot be otherwise.

Stop thinking of it as hi rez as that is a misnomer. 'extended bandwith digital' would be far more accurate. It does not haveany higher resolution than cd or vinyl or cassette tape or even AM radio.

I can appreciate people payimg a premium to get a better mastering if that is the only format it is available on. Otherwise it really is not worth spending the extra. Run your red book digital signal through a high quality passive pre amp instead and hear how good it can sound.

Macca

Unread post by Macca »

Sorry about the hi jack Steve, I regret it is one of my hobby horses. Yes get an Oppo they are very good players very neutral balanced sound. And will do the multi channel thing too. Been tempted myself for many years since I first heatd one but they are a bit pricey for me.

Classicrock
Great Britain

Unread post by Classicrock »

Macca you are on the wrong forum - this is hi-fi subjectivist not objectivist. Numbers don't equate to what we hear. If it sounds better it is better. Some people appear to have dialed out the flaws in CD which have not been completely eradicated with better Dacs. Vinyl still sounds superior to me than any digital format. Closer to real music.
I Know What I like (In Your Wardrobe)

Daniel Quinn

Unread post by Daniel Quinn »

Well worth saying four times :lol:

Progmeister
Great Britain

Unread post by Progmeister »

Aye, yer dead right there like.
Daniel Quinn wrote:Prog you need to up your game this isn't aos ;)
People turn to poison quick as lager turns to piss,,,J.C. Clarke.

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

Boring farts - are you all too young to have owned a laserdisc player. I hankered after one in the late 80's after hearing a couple of far east systems with them and NVA. For some reason we went for crap tape players.

Macca

Unread post by Macca »

I had a laserdisc player for a while.

Macca

Unread post by Macca »

Classicrock wrote:Macca you are on the wrong forum - this is hi-fi subjectivist not objectivist. Numbers don't equate to what we hear. If it sounds better it is better. Some people appear to have dialed out the flaws in CD which have not been completely eradicated with better Dacs. Vinyl still sounds superior to me than any digital format. Closer to real music.
Numbers do equate to what we hear, sorry to break that to you ;)

I don't understand why anyone would not be interested in why we hear what we hear. But each to his own.

Classicrock
Great Britain

Unread post by Classicrock »

Macca wrote:
Classicrock wrote:Macca you are on the wrong forum - this is hi-fi subjectivist not objectivist. Numbers don't equate to what we hear. If it sounds better it is better. Some people appear to have dialed out the flaws in CD which have not been completely eradicated with better Dacs. Vinyl still sounds superior to me than any digital format. Closer to real music.

I don't understand why anyone would not be interested in why we hear what we hear. But each to his own.
Problem is the way you interpret the numbers in this case conflicts with what a lot of people hear. Studios don't use hi-res purely to get increased dynamic range. I can't think of any recording that makes use of the theoretical dynamic range of CD let alone hi-res. In practice vinyl masterings often have more apparent dynamic range. I just choose to use my ears. Of course you need an SACD player that actually outperforms a very good CD player for the advantages to be apparent. I'm sure some of the budget units have been underwhelming. They are certainly more than just audible if not as great as a substantial turntable or phono stage upgrade. Just shows there is a lot more contained on ye old black vinyl disc than quoted measurements would suggest.
I Know What I like (In Your Wardrobe)

Daniel Quinn

Unread post by Daniel Quinn »

Macca wrote:

Okay what numbers will tell you that the sound staging of particular cd player will be excellent.

And with all due respect you have a cut and paste understanding of why we hear what we hear not an experts , it is legitimate to say if I cannot verify the knowledge I am being given for myself then why bother taking an interest and it is simply not possible for anyone to be an expert in everything .
Last edited by Daniel Quinn on Wed Aug 05, 2015 9:53 am, edited 1 time in total.