The Wrecking Crew

Forum for all multichannel discussions (SACD, AV etc) and Movie discussions.
Lindsayt
Nauru

The Wrecking Crew

Unread post by Lindsayt »

The Wrecking Crew is a nice little documentary about the core group of West Coast session musicians from the 1960's.

I never realised that they were used on so many different records.

Interesting how they'd record 4 tracks in 3 hours. Which is completely different to how Pink Floyd recorded Dark Side of the Moon.

I already knew that the Monkees were a corporate manufactured band. Never realised quite how much till I saw this film.

On the supplemental material there was an engineer proclaiming that "Pop music has no dynamic range". It's this sort of stupid mentality that has led to so many recordings over the years being so mediocre.

terrybooth
Great Britain

Re: The Wrecking Crew

Unread post by terrybooth »

Lindsayt wrote:
I already knew that the Monkees were a corporate manufactured band. Never realised quite how much till I saw this film.
Problem was, some of them at least thought of themselves as musicians which annoyed the producer, Don Kirshner, who resolved the problem on his next attempt at manufacturing a pop group by making them cartoons - The Archies.
Pioneer PL71/DL103/ Phono2/HiFiPi/P90SA/TIS/CubixPro

slinger
EUROPEAN_UNION

Re: The Wrecking Crew

Unread post by slinger »

I have extreme admiration for the Wrecking Crew. Membership was pretty fluid, but they had some amazing musicians in their ranks. There was also a documentary about The Funk Brothers, who provided backing for the majority of Motown hits up until '72 called Standing in the Shadows of Motown. Both are on my "to watch" list.
Amps - NVA P50, AP30, A40, Stanislav Palo Tube Headphone Amp BB 85
Speakers - Monitor Audio Silver RX2
Cables - NVA LS1+LS3, SSC, Gotham S/PDIF, IBRA Optical
Digital - NAD C516BEE, SONY ST-SDB900 DAB TUNER, TEAC UD-H01 DAC
Analogue - Pro-Ject Debut Carbon Esprit SB, Graham Slee Gram Amp 2 Phono
Cans - Grado SR80, ATH-M50X