Moving to 4.0 or 5.0 or 7.0 from 2.0

Forum for all multichannel discussions (SACD, AV etc) and Movie discussions.
terrybooth
Great Britain

Re: Moving to 4.0 or 5.0 or 7.0 from 2.0

Unread post by terrybooth »

jammy395 wrote:SOUDBAR......
Is that an Arabic insult?
Pioneer PL71/DL103/ Phono2/HiFiPi/P90SA/TIS/CubixPro

jammy395
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by jammy395 »

Google it Tel......... :lol:

Lindsayt
Nauru

Unread post by Lindsayt »

I've googled "soundbar wiki". The Wikipedia entry says "Soundbars are relatively small and can be easily positioned under a display, are easy to set up, and are usually less expensive than other stereo sound systems. However, due to their smaller size and lack of flexibility in positioning, soundbars do not fill a room with sound as well as separate speaker stereo systems"

Frasernash

Unread post by Frasernash »

Lindsayt wrote:I've googled "soundbar wiki". The Wikipedia entry says "Soundbars are relatively small and can be easily positioned under a display, are easy to set up, and are usually less expensive than other stereo sound systems. However, due to their smaller size and lack of flexibility in positioning, soundbars do not fill a room with sound as well as separate speaker stereo systems"
That's my experience Soundbar's always have small drivers usually no bigger than 2.5 inches, I have what is considered one of the better a Yamaha YSP but its useless with music and only worked well on DVD or BD tracks, in hindsight would use 2 stereo speakers.

Frasernash

Unread post by Frasernash »

Lindsayt wrote:I bought a Marantz SR6010 for £480.
I've initially set it up as a 7.0 system. Using EV Sentrys as fronts, a Linn Isobarik as the centre speaker, Saras as rears and Heybrook HB1's as sides.

After watching an Our Brand is Crisis DVD on it my children declared that it was a waste of money. :grin:

We'll be trying it out with some different films and speaker configurations over the next few weeks...
There was a spot on the gadget show on channel 5 last week they had a Klipsh system in what was a domestic sized room maybe worth watching.

Lindsayt
Nauru

According to nopiano and Al ears I NEED to use speakers from the same manufacturer in my AV system. :bulls1:
Source, post #16 onwards: http://www.whathifi.com/forum/hi-fi/bes ... -equipment

I, for the life of me, can't think of a single good reason WHY? :ugeek:

...Anyway, it's time to watch Batman vs Superman with my family. This has a Dolby Atmos soundtrack...

slinger
EUROPEAN_UNION

Unread post by slinger »

Lindsayt wrote:According to nopiano and Al ears I NEED to use speakers from the same manufacturer in my AV system. :bulls1:
Source, post #16 onwards: http://www.whathifi.com/forum/hi-fi/bes ... -equipment

I, for the life of me, can't think of a single good reason WHY? :ugeek:

There's an excellent reason why you can't think of a good reason. There isn't one, unless you really really need the matching cabinets to go with your curtains. :lol:

Joking aside, if you're still dissatisfied with the set-up you have at least try a bog standard 5.1 config before you write it off, with a 'proper' sub woofer and a decent(ish) centre speaker that was designed for purpose, i.e. optimised for speech rather than music. I've got one of these in the middle. It cost me £51 on eBay and it works perfectly.
These users thanked the author slinger for the post:
Lindsayt (Mon Feb 19, 2024 7:34 pm)
Amps - NVA P50, AP30, A40, Stanislav Palo Tube Headphone Amp BB 85
Speakers - Monitor Audio Silver RX2
Cables - NVA LS1+LS3, SSC, Gotham S/PDIF, IBRA Optical
Digital - NAD C516BEE, SONY ST-SDB900 DAB TUNER, TEAC UD-H01 DAC
Analogue - Pro-Ject Debut Carbon Esprit SB, Graham Slee Gram Amp 2 Phono
Cans - Grado SR80, ATH-M50X

Lindsayt
Nauru

Exactly Slinger.

Where do people like nopiano and Al ears get their AV notions from? :think:

I think it's really hard to say if the £500 I spent converting my system from 2.0 to 5.0.2 was worth it or not.

I can quite happily go along with my children who say it's a waste of money. I could also go along with those that say that you need an atmos set-up to get the best out modern blockbusters.

When I listened to a Steve Winwood CD through my blu ray player and Marantz AV receiver through my EV Sentries it sounded worse than my Denon CD player and my Creek CAS4040. The sound of the blu ray player and AV receiver reminded me of a NAD 3020. All blurred, soft focus, woolly round the edges.

And on the speech thing. Speech was clear enough before on the 2.0 system and it's clear enough now. Just pushed to the fore a bit more than before on DVD's and blu rays.
I have noticed a bit of sibilance that wasn't there before when watching Match of the Day.

slinger
EUROPEAN_UNION

Unread post by slinger »

Daft question probably, Lindsay, but have you actually listened to anyone's bog standard 5.1 home setup? It's sort of the 'default' setting for most films and it seems you're trying every combination but. :lol: I'm just curious to know if hearing a 5.1 system somewhere along the line has convinced you that you need 'more' than that or if you're just chucking the kitchen sink at it from the outset because it's there sort of thing..
Amps - NVA P50, AP30, A40, Stanislav Palo Tube Headphone Amp BB 85
Speakers - Monitor Audio Silver RX2
Cables - NVA LS1+LS3, SSC, Gotham S/PDIF, IBRA Optical
Digital - NAD C516BEE, SONY ST-SDB900 DAB TUNER, TEAC UD-H01 DAC
Analogue - Pro-Ject Debut Carbon Esprit SB, Graham Slee Gram Amp 2 Phono
Cans - Grado SR80, ATH-M50X

Lindsayt
Nauru

This is Peter Tysons most expensive 5.1 speaker package at £7400. The 15" sub might be a useful addition to my AV system. The rest of it is not for me.

I dislike slimline ported speakers more than I dislike Class D amplifiers.
I have no intention of going out of my way to hear a bog standard 5.1 system.

The speakers in my AV system are there because I had them already.