Stupid, lazy, unimaginative films

Forum for all multichannel discussions (SACD, AV etc) and Movie discussions.
Lindsayt
Nauru

Stupid, lazy, unimaginative films

Unread post by Lindsayt »

Watched the latest Transformers film on rented blu ray yesterday with my son.

There are so many parts to this film, where you're just sitting there, thinking that makes no sense. Or that's just taken from Star Wars / the Hobbit / Avatar / Melancholia etc etc etc.

Where people flying from America to England, over the Atlantic, when they're pressed for time, pass over the white cliffs of Dover, instead of Cornwall or Devon or Wales.

There's also a car chase in Central London that doesn't have to stop behind a clot of traffic at traffic lights every 200 metres.
London and Oxford also seem to be the same place. They're not an hour apart.
The temperature at 20,000 feet altitude in this film is warm enough for people to be comfortable in normal military uniforms.
Stone Henge doesn't have A roads next to it, nor the Visitors Centre.

The whole film is a series of "That's just bullshit. That doesn't make sense" moments.

It's just stupid, lazy, unimaginative film making.

Michael Bay would probably say he doesn't care. The film made loads of money.

Daniel Quinn

Re: Stupid, lazy, unimaginative films

Unread post by Daniel Quinn »

It's about the visual not the logic

Daniel Quinn

It's about the visual not the logic

CN211276
EUROPEAN_UNION

Unread post by CN211276 »

I have given up on modern films and cancelled my subscription to Sky movies years ago.
Main System
NVA BMU, P90SA/A80s (latest spec), Cube 1s, TIS, TISC(LS7)
Sonore OpticalRendu, Chord Mscaler & Qutest, Sbooster PSs
Network Acoustics Eno, ifi iPurifier3, AQ JB FMJ, Cisco 2940 & 2960
DH Labs ethernet, BNC & USB cables, Farnells cat 8 ethernet cable

Second System
NVA P20/ A20, Cubettes, LS3, SSP, SC
Sonore MicroRendu, Chord Mojo 2 MCRU PSs, AQ Carbon USB cable & JB FMJ

Headphones
Grado SR325e/Chord Mojo, Beyerdynamic Avetho/AQ DF Colbat

RIP Doc

scotty38
Kiribati

Unread post by scotty38 »

But the bits where cars turn into robots or whatever make perfect sense? I'm not being funny but it isn't really supposed to be real :-)

Lindsayt
Nauru

Daniel Quinn wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2018 11:13 am It's about the visual not the logic
Yeah, but the coastline of Cornwall, Devon, Wales is as visually arresting as the white cliffs of Dover.

It's just that Michael Bay is a dumb (in terms of geography and imagination) American film-maker, making stupid, lazy films.

And another stupid feature of the film is that a submarine was shown sailing down the Thames towards the sea, and in the next clip was shown sailing with some white cliffs 400 metres to its' left placing it sailing in the opposite direction to which it had come from. The film makers were too stupid or lazy to mirror image it, to make it consistent with sailing clockwise round the coast of the south of England.

Lindsayt
Nauru

scotty38 wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2018 1:57 pm But the bits where cars turn into robots or whatever make perfect sense? I'm not being funny but it isn't really supposed to be real :-)
No, of course it doesn't make sense.

But that's no reason for almost nothing in the film to make any sense.

Like a large military organisation attacking bots holed up in a scrap yard - from 1 direction, mainly on land.

Instead of surrounding them and using massive Gulf War type air cover. So that the bots can't just drive out the other side and escape.

It's just non-sensical bullshit. The whole film.

A bit of suspension of disbelief I can go for. But not when the whole film is just one stupid illogical thing after another. Things that could easily be fixed with a bit of imagination and care when making the film.

Like making the armies at the start of the film look like armies from the 5th or 6th century AD instead of looking like armies from the Lord of the Rings or the 15th century.

Talking of which, magic invisbility rings that corrupt your personality and can't be melted in a blacksmith's forge make no sense, but at least most of the Lord of the Rings has a certain logic within the world it is set in.

Daniel Quinn

In your opinion. This is one of those things were yourvallowed your opinion without intellectual challenge.

CycleCoach
EUROPEAN_UNION

Unread post by CycleCoach »

I believe that Transformers is a kids film, not a documentary, so artistic licence is expected and usually given: just think of the number of films where to establish "Japan" as a location, have an image of Mount Fuji in the background!
I think I might be in the HiFi trade.
I am not currently seeking treatment for this.
Current System: Linn LP12 Lingo Ekos Troika, NVA PHONO2 with BBPSU, NVA AP20 (White), Quad ESL 57s &/or NVA Cube3s (White)

terrybooth
Great Britain

Unread post by terrybooth »

It is rather jarring when you know a place. How many (usually TV) things have you seen where someone walks in a building you know in a street you know and then walks out of the same building into a street you know is miles away. "Stay Lucky" was good for that (if anyone remembers and is familiar with the bits of Yorkshire used in it). The more recent ones based around Halifax (last Tango in Halifax, Happy Valley) have been a bit more careful, neverthertheless, I've spotted it.

The better ones encourage the good old 'willing suspension of disbelief' in their story telling and so you can believe that Rhianna on a second world war battle ship really can help defeat an alien invasion. :mrgreen:
Pioneer PL71/DL103/ Phono2/HiFiPi/P90SA/TIS/CubixPro