Home visit offer

Room to arrange and discuss bake-offs
Lindsayt
Nauru

Home visit offer

Unread post by Lindsayt »

I can put together a £350 CD based system that I can chuck in the back of the car. Would anyone be interested in me bringing this round to their place for a bake-off / listening session?

I'd need help carrying the speakers into your listening room. I live in West Yorkshire.

jammy395
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Home visit offer

Unread post by jammy395 »

Okay Dokay Lindsay im due home a week Today So Tues day 11th March would be ace - If you let me know when you will arrive i will certainly meet you at the door and give you a hand in with yer CD player for a bake off....But be warned i have a Marantz. :snooty:

Its only 650km so about 8hrs should do the trick - I would set off about 4am if i were you, as there is a lot of Tractors up with us and they can be a pain...And add another 3hrs to yer journey...!!!

Cheers Lindsay ;) :lol:

Seriously a nice gesture for local folks....... :clap: :clap:....You must be quietly confident.

terrybooth
Great Britain

Unread post by terrybooth »

Hmm. I'm a bit nearer but I'm not sure what I would bake off against.
Pioneer PL71/DL103/ Phono2/HiFiPi/P90SA/TIS/CubixPro

Lindsayt
Nauru

Your main system would be fine Terry. I'd bring a few CD's which we could transfer onto your TFS - temporarily. Or we could just bake off speakers. There's a high chance you'd prefer your bits over mine. Or it's possible you might like certain aspects of mine...

Darren

Unread post by Darren »

What a great idea!! Wish I had time to join in with this stuff. An unpretentious system like this is a great place to start conversation and debate. Well done you.

terrybooth
Great Britain

Unread post by terrybooth »

Lindsayt wrote:Your main system would be fine Terry. I'd bring a few CD's which we could transfer onto your TFS - temporarily. Or we could just bake off speakers. There's a high chance you'd prefer your bits over mine. Or it's possible you might like certain aspects of mine...
Sound like an idea. Let's sort something out.
Pioneer PL71/DL103/ Phono2/HiFiPi/P90SA/TIS/CubixPro

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

Are the pair of you going to dress up as Terry's avatar for the occasion :mrgreen:

If so we need full report and pictures.

Andrew

Unread post by Andrew »

Fair play to you, Lindsay. Not many people would bother. I hope you both get something from it.

Rick

Unread post by Rick »

Hi,

I'm not too far from you in York.

Never done anything like this before and am a bit of a novice but you're more than welcome here.

Rick.

Lindsayt
Nauru

I had the pleasure of visiting terrybooths house yesterday.

Overall I preferred the sound of his NVA TFS / Asus Xonar / NVA amps and NVA Cubix to my Denon CD player / Urei 6230 / Sansui SP 5500 system.

So, in conkers terms, Terrys system is a Oner.

His system made mine sound somewhat crude. I'll be seeing if there's some inexpensive changes I can make to improve the clarity and separation of instruments of my system. To see if the crudeness is down to the source / amplification / speakers or a combination of all them. One thing I will be trying is to see if I can find or make some big sturdy stands for the Sansuis as it's bit annoying having to sit on the floor to hear the best sound from them. The only areas that I thought were better from my system were the more neutral tonal balance from my system and the cost.

One thing that stuck me about Terrys system was that his system sounded like a very well sorted system. Not one chucked together. But one that had evolved over the years in a Darwinian manner to arrive at a system that was realistically able to reproduce the instruments being played.