NVA v Teddy Pardo

Room to arrange and discuss bake-offs
Stemcor1990
Great Britain

Re: NVA v Teddy Pardo

Unread post by Stemcor1990 »

Ahh the slippery slope....... I am more than happy to be another victim for the Doc but the Teddy stuff is very very good. My gut feeling is that I'm going to like the amp but prefer the Teddy. I am saying this as both manufactuers sell direct so both offer exceptional value for money. In monetary terms, the equivalent of my amp is probably the statement pre with a pair of mk2 A80s. If my gut is right then my head is going to want to hear a statement or P90SA with the A80s.

I never like to write about product a v product b because I do not think that I can communicate the differences clearly (see my amateurish "review" of the phono 1) but I would be happy to report my findings on the NVA in due course if there is any interest.

_D_S_J_R_
Wales

Unread post by _D_S_J_R_ »

How different from Naim is the Teddy, as I remember he came out of the 'alternatives to HiCap' area of PFM some years ago?
Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way...The time has gone, The song is over, Thought I'd something more to say...

Stemcor1990
Great Britain

Unread post by Stemcor1990 »

The quick answer is that they are different yet similar. I tried a teddycap plus on a 202 pre and was shocked by how good it was. Although the naimees will argue differently, I have always perceived the infamous bass-hump. I don't want to get into a discussion on the subject as it's been done to death. Anyway, the hump disappeared but the rest of the system improved. It sounded more like people playing musical instruments.

Once my ears had becomed used to the new presentaion, I realised that the bass was actually better defined with improved timing so the music became more accessible.

The similarities are the sense of rhythm. The teddy actually does it better. If I had to describe teddy products in a few words it would be "more naim than naim".

The advantages are no recapping every 10 years and best of all no transformer hum plus when you turn the volume up the music gets louder with nothing added and nothing taken away. My ears always told me that naims were distorting slightly. I have often wondered if the prat is in some way related to distortion.

The other winner for me is the level of detail.

To cut a long story short I ended up with the full teddy but I have a NVA itch that I need to scratch.

Daniel Quinn

Unread post by Daniel Quinn »

Once [if] you swap to NVA , I will buy you a flak jacket , so you can go on pfm and post your findings :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Macca
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by Macca »

I doubt a flak jacket would be sufficient...

jammy395

Unread post by jammy395 »

I don't care if the amp sing's like a band of Heavenly Angels.... :angelic-blueglow:
I'll be damned if I could live with an amp that should be named after a Male Model's under wear range.
"Teddy Pardo" my fukin Arse............ :angry-devil:
Teddy Pardo Amplifier..png
Teddy Pardo Amplifier..png (34.69 KiB) Viewed 4676 times

_D_S_J_R_
Wales

Unread post by _D_S_J_R_ »

The only thing I did regarding teddy's amps and supplies was cringe at the cost, bearing in mind the innards. I remember him being dearer than Avondale, but could be wrong these days - can't be arsed to look, sorry :)
Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way...The time has gone, The song is over, Thought I'd something more to say...

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

Avondale always provided a near enough to be familiar escape path for the Naim brainwashed. Same character better music. Those who really decided to dive of the cliff to escape bought single ended valve amps.

jammy395

Unread post by jammy395 »

Aye fuk em........They copied you....... :naughty:

wallace

Unread post by wallace »

_D_S_J_R_ wrote:How different from Naim is the Teddy, as I remember he came out of the 'alternatives to HiCap' area of PFM some years ago?
For what it's worth, in my naim days,i swapped my hicap for a teddy cap and was underwhelmed ,i prefered the hicap,hum and all.I put it down to pfm hype.
The only upside was that i didn't lose much on the deal.I should have gone for the Avondale upgrade,but he was having trouble keeping up with demand.I went with NVA in the end because it did not have a PSU upgrade option.Never looked back,or felt any need to UPGRADE since. :mrgreen: :character-bart: :banana-dreads:
Revox B795,,NVA PHONO 1,Teac PD-H500C,Squeezebox Touch,Bushmaster MKII,NVA AP70,LS5,Royd Minstrels i/c's SSC's. .
Sony Laptop,E-Dac, NVA AP10P, LS3,SSC,Royd Coniston R.Grado RS1