NVA v Teddy Pardo

Room to arrange and discuss bake-offs
Stemcor1990
Great Britain

NVA v Teddy Pardo

Unread post by Stemcor1990 »

Having recently purchased a Phono 1, I am very pleased with the performance. The only problem is having tried a NVA product, I now have an urge to hear the amps. It's not possible for me to put several hundred quid "up-front" at the present time and I don't want to sell the Teddy, purchase NVA and then regret the decision.

So here's the deal. I would like somebody to offer to host a NVA evening (unfortunately, I cannot host) and I will bring my Teddy pre, monos and dac for a shoot-out. I live in Essex but willing to put some miles on the car. I will also provide several beers for someone prepared to give up a few hours of their time.

I appreciate that this is a big ask and as a relative newbie, this might look a bit dodgy. I understand that there is a pm facility but being a bit of a numptie I need to find where it is. I would suggest that any potential host sends a pm and I will disclose my email address and phone number and we can take it from there.

If anyone wants to make any suggestions or alterations to the above then that's fine by me.

_D_S_J_R_
Wales

Re: NVA v Teddy Pardo

Unread post by _D_S_J_R_ »

You could always buy an amp and use (or not) the returns guarantee to get your money back. Even the little AP10P will give you a good taste of the bigger models, which gain in terms of authority, even at whisper-quiet levels...
Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way...The time has gone, The song is over, Thought I'd something more to say...

applemarc
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by applemarc »

I have a P80 and an A30 you could borrow I must stress that the P80 is an old model and the A30 is towards the bottom of the range I also live in Essex
Beresford Caiman Ipod

Stemcor1990
Great Britain

Applemarc, that is a very generous offer. I think that I can stretch to some bottom of the range speaker cable so that I can get started with NVA. My speakers are Naim IBLs which are very marmite. I would of course be willing for you to borrow the Teddys in return.

I'm in Billericay so only a few miles away.

If you are ok to wait until I can get the speaker cable then I will be more than happy to borrow the amp.

_D_S_J_R_
Wales

ALL NVA amps share a basic DNA in terms of sonics, so a little A30 would be fine I think. Shane is selling his LS3 cables at a great price and these are perfect for ANY amp as the characteristics are benign.
Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way...The time has gone, The song is over, Thought I'd something more to say...

Stemcor1990
Great Britain

Sadly, Shane's cables are too short. I could buy some from the Doc then return them for a refund but that would be naughty. :whistle:

_D_S_J_R_
Wales

The option's there :) (Apologies for slipping into sales-mode!)

NVA cables, speaker cables as well as interconnects, can be safely used with other gear I'm sure, including Naim and Teddy Pardo. You may not like the combination, but it should be quite safe to do so as the separate speaker-cable conductors don't offer a silly load to the driving amp I understand.

It's been said here - and I did this too - NVA owners often start with the cables, like what they hear and go on from there :) Oh yeah, and they don't buy blind because of a forty year reputation for a particular sonic 'style' as Naim people do even now.

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

Stemcor1990 wrote:Sadly, Shane's cables are too short. I could buy some from the Doc then return them for a refund but that would be naughty. :whistle:
Its not naughty, it is the reason we do it.

Stemcor1990
Great Britain

I have spoken to Applemarc and will collect the amp in the near future. Have just ordered some speaker cable from the Doc so could have an "interesting" start to 2015. I'm very much looking forward to dipping my toe in the water.

kimangelis
Been thanked: 0
Great Britain

Unread post by kimangelis »

Be careful.... It's unstoppable!

I've recently changed all my hi-fi and it started thus....

1. Bought a good pair of Sennheiser HD600 'phones, but didn't like the sound through my (then) Audiolab, so started looking for a headphone amp.
2. I've been familiar with NVA for years so settled-on a AP10P. Loved the sound, so....
3. Bought a 2nd-hand pair of A40 Mk1's, returned the AP10P and got a new P50 and AP10H. So far so good..
4. Then... got a great deal from the Doc on a pair of ex-dem A70MkII's and a pair of Cube2's. Even better.
5. So now system is Rega CD-R front end and NVA everything else, including SoundPipe interconnects and LS3 speaker cable.... Wonderful!
6. I'll be upgrading to LS6 speaker cable in the Spring...

Unfortunately my headphones sound a bit 'thin', so am contemplating a pair of Grado SR325i's to bring the sound class up to the level off the NVA pre/power/speaker combo...
It all started with buying the Sennheisers...... :pray: :pray: :pray: :pray: :pray:
Primare CD22. Primare DAB/FM radio. SSP to NVA AP70 and AP10H(JS) with Denon AH-D7100's. LS5 to Cube2's.