PEBO (aka Pelaw Bake Off aka mini NEBO 5.1)

Room to arrange and discuss bake-offs
brit-pop
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

PEBO (aka Pelaw Bake Off aka mini NEBO 5.1)

Unread post by brit-pop »

Right chaps, since NEBO 6 is still a while off and a few of the more local folks have expressed an interest for a smaller scale get together I can arrange a little meet up at the Bill Quay Cricket Club on either Friday 17th July or Friday 11th August. Saturdays are tricky as there's obviously cricket and bands and other stuff on but Fridays are generally free. We can have the function room at no cost as long as some beers are purchased and ill get some pizzas in from the takeaway round the corner. The room isn't too big and will take a couple of systems being set up (obviously only one playing at a time).

We can have the venue from 5pm and the club has reasonably priced quality ale from the excellent Jarrow brewery. The venue is a 5-10min walk from Pelaw metro and easily accessible by car with plenty of parking. If folk want to come from further afield there's a Travelodge at Whitemare Pool about a mile away and numerous accommodation options in Newcastle, Gateshead or South Shields if you want something fancier.

Let me know if there's enough interest and of course what you'd like to bring. As its just round the corner from me I'll start the ball rolling and bring a full system and of course a copy of 10cc 'Bloody Tourists'. Ideally need someone to bring another quality pair of speakers.

So reply here if you're game and which of the 2 dates works best.... PM me if you want any more info.

All the best.

R

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Re: PEBO (aka Pelaw Bake Off aka mini NEBO 5.1)

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

I would like to come but I don't think I can. I definitely will not drive, it is PITA. Which is the nearest station, is it walking distance. Probably NEBO would be a better bet for me.

brit-pop

If coming by rail the nearest station would be Newcastle Central for the east coast mainline from kings cross. The venue is about 4 miles out of the city which would be a 10 min journey from the city centre on the Metro and cost 2.60 then a five minute walk. A taxi from Newcastle station would typically be around 12quid.

brit-pop

Ok, so I've just confirmed with the club chairman we're ok to go ahead on the Friday 17th July from 5pm onwards.

Be great to see some of the local faces again and enjoy a few cold ones with yous. Feel free to invite whoever you think will 'dig it' and post here what you're bringing if you haven't already.

You can easily find the place on Google maps if you're unsure, we're about 4miles downriver from the Toon and a stones throw from the A19 and A194/A1 if you're coming by car. Pm me if you need more details.

Sorry I haven't been around much but I'm in full festival and holidays mode at the moment and won't be posting until I emerge muddy and knackered from a field somewhere :grin:

R

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

OK next Friday for the big event. Anyone from HFS going????

If not and you can then shame on you, get off your arse and contribute to our community.

Lots of pics and write up please Brit, don't just do it on AoS.

brit-pop

Yes, all welcome... unfortunately its just an evening meeting and a bit of a drink rather than a full dayer with all the bells and whistles which is what the NEBO in November is for so I appreciate a long way for people to come just for an evening.

Looks like a decent spread of kit for the session, probably more than we can actually get through but I'll be taking my A40s, passive preamp and cables with a vinyl source. I'm hoping my good friend the Progmeister will bring his Phono2 as well which I'm dead keen to hear with my deck.

Yes, ill put a write up on here and get some pics up too....

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

I read at AoS your system has gone toes up in sound. I doubt the TT could go off so suddenly, it is far more likely to be something electronic. Is it just the TT source that is doing it, or all sources.

Addenda - I am ignoring the obvious like fluff on stylus.

brit-pop

Dr Bunsen Honeydew wrote:I read at AoS your system has gone toes up in sound. I doubt the TT could go off so suddenly, it is far more likely to be something electronic. Is it just the TT source that is doing it, or all sources.

Addenda - I am ignoring the obvious like fluff on stylus.
Not to fear Richard, its my turntable spitting at some less than brilliant pressings... brand new reissued grateful dead no less!

Putting on a tried and trusted old record or two soon had me back on song. I also think the tracking had gone heavy for some strange reason. Backing it off a bit made a difference.

The amps and everything are fine. I'm packing them into the car now for the venue, going to get them plugged in and warmed up properly before playing.

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Have fun tonight, I wish I was going.

jammy395

Unread post by jammy395 »

Aye have a hoot BP - Look forward to your findings. :clap: