AVI vs...? bake off anyone?

Room to arrange and discuss bake-offs
MK1LN4E:)
Has thanked: 0

Re: AVI vs...? bake off anyone?

Unread post by MK1LN4E:) »

I may be able to attend to? If of course it is ok with the organiser. I have a couple of bits to bring to the party, mentionably a phono 2 with added power, to which I have nt had the pleasure of as yet :grin: but if you have a tt with an mc ur more then welcome to try :epop: would also like to c what difference the AVi is to my royds?
AP90SA, TSS, A80, LS6, LS7, Cube 1, Royd Abbot, Ssp mk1,Mk 2, cyrus CD7, Cyrus psxr, Fons CQ30 sme 3009 tone arm, technics sl150, Ortofon blue MM, phono 2 plus second power supply, AP10P, Cube 3, LS3.

jimbob
Great Britain

Unread post by jimbob »

MK1LN4E:) wrote:I may be able to attend to? If of course it is ok with the organiser. I have a couple of bits to bring to the party, mentionably a phono 2 with added power, to which I have nt had the pleasure of as yet :grin: but if you have a tt with an mc ur more then welcome to try :epop: would also like to c what difference the AVi is to my royds?
+1

I know you've got a good pair of ears and would be a good person to have at the bake off.
Squeezebox Touch - Cambridge Audio Azur (pre) - Mycetias 250A Power Amp - Mycetias V2 Speakers

_D_S_J_R_
Wales

Unread post by _D_S_J_R_ »

Well, the link is now down, so I suspect the whole thread will be deleted, or severely pruned. Fanboy Arthur chipped in to remind everyone that 'The' speaker cables were £700 and I asked which cables were that then (before I had to go out), meaning to post a link to LS2 later, which I find most satisfactory in the main system and better than £25/m Chord and £4/m Cable Talk I used before.

What amazes me is how threatened and defensive certain people got over there. I mean, their reference seems to be expensive Sennheiser (mainly) headphones and not live music.

Maybe Ash is right, and a pair of sub £300 active speakers from a pro supplier would beat the lot of them ;)

To any HDD readers who venture here to 'have a laugh,' THIS is the speaker cable I use and it's only THIRTY FOUR QUID in a 3m stereo run (my lengths are much longer, but 3m is a fair average for many)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NVA-3m-set-LS ... P0EX6t6uwg
Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way...The time has gone, The song is over, Thought I'd something more to say...

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

Well I joined last night to make a couple of factual corrections and this morning I find I have been booted.

jimbob
Great Britain

Unread post by jimbob »

jimbob wrote:
MK1LN4E:) wrote:I may be able to attend to? If of course it is ok with the organiser. I have a couple of bits to bring to the party, mentionably a phono 2 with added power, to which I have nt had the pleasure of as yet :grin: but if you have a tt with an mc ur more then welcome to try :epop: would also like to c what difference the AVi is to my royds?
+1

I know you've got a good pair of ears and would be a good person to have at the bake off.
Also it would be interesting to get other opinions on Mark's Royds as he has spent quite a bit of time with my Allison's and preferred the overall presentation of his speakers.
Squeezebox Touch - Cambridge Audio Azur (pre) - Mycetias 250A Power Amp - Mycetias V2 Speakers

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

AVi, Royd Abbot, Doc Mod Allison6, Cube2. That sounds like a good contest, wish it wasn't too far for me.

jimbob
Great Britain

Unread post by jimbob »

Dr Bunsen Honeydew wrote:AVi, Royd Abbot, Doc Mod Allison6, Cube2. That sounds like a good contest, wish it wasn't too far for me.
Yeah sounds like a nice selection. It's only a train journey away... A long one mind!

jimbob
Great Britain

Unread post by jimbob »

Any word on if/when this bake off will be going ahead?

jammy395
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by jammy395 »

Dr Bunsen Honeydew wrote:Well I joined last night to make a couple of factual corrections and this morning I find I have been booted.
Ghastly Ashley, JCBum & The delusional Sheep over at the AVI forum have no intrest in the factual Doc.....Fact frightens them.

There can be no rational discussion there, they are afraid and feel threatened by
questions, visit the site and the feeling of irrational paranoia and prejudice is palpable.

Fuk em......... :mrgreen: :guiness;

_D_S_J_R_
Wales

Unread post by _D_S_J_R_ »

They're not interested in an alternative or traditional way. Their decision to junk all the separates audio gear was made years ago and they want as near to a one-box fix as possible, without the baggage and pricing surrounding the likes of B&O, who do make some good stereo stuff under the styling and silly price tags. Bose is regarded as cheap stuff posing as expensive (although their AV sub-sat systems worked well in smaller UK rooms I thought). Lastly, the pro active speakers under £500 just don't look right in a well healed non-enthusiast domestic living room. To cap it all, Ash's rantings and half truths about *all* separated gear and the generic term 'legacy' tends to suit their mindset, as their separates systems are legacy to them.

Ash isn't totally wrong, passive speaker crossovers are (usually) the spawn of the devil and it does take a dedicated designer to juggle the components about to minimise their sonic and measured damage in my view, not just construct one with low wattage rated parts, measure its intrusion and then slag them all off as a result of this one low-powered exercise as was done a few years ago. But you never make a successful company by being nice about the competition I think, so you either slag 'em all off, or take a superior patronising stand instead... in my opinion obviously.
Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way...The time has gone, The song is over, Thought I'd something more to say...