AVI vs...? bake off anyone?

Room to arrange and discuss bake-offs
Neilwootton
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: AVI vs...? bake off anyone?

Unread post by Neilwootton »

It really is funny to read his incoherent ramblings, playing chess with a pigeon comes to mind. Come to think of it he did shit all over the pieces and stomp off. :doh:

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

Well the expected tirades didn't happen and just Jammy and Neil got posts off their chests. So Ad Hom rules again now applied to this thread.

Lindsayt
Nauru

Unread post by Lindsayt »

Lindsayt wrote: Yes, it is entirely fair enough if you prefer the AVI presentation over the EV one. I can't argue with that.

Would you say that in your opinion with your tastes that you think that the AVI's sounded overall better (as in more realistic), about equally good, or worse than the EV's?

And would you also say that for someone who craves dynamics, zip, life, bounce, sparkle, an attention grabbing sound - that the EV's would sound better to them, about the same or worse than the AVI's?
I have some more questions for darius-lpv.

I have been pushing for a clear and simple answer to the 2 questions I raised in the post I've quoted above. Both here and in this thread on the What Hi-fi forum.
http://www.whathifi.com/forum/hi-fi/nva-cube-2-review

So far you have not given a straight-forward answer to these questions.

Given that I have asked these questions in the context of an NVA vs AVI system bake-off threads, including this one here on HFS where you have been on the receiving end of some ad hominem comments - my question for you darius-lpv is:

Why do you think I have been asking you those 2 questions on the EV bake-off and been pushing you for a clear, direct and public answer?

And, if you're not sure, or wouldn't like to publicly state why you think I've been asking those questions, would you like me to tell you why I've been asking them and pushing you for an answer?

_D_S_J_R_
Wales

Unread post by _D_S_J_R_ »

I finally went over to the WTF thread. I thought I was a 'member' there from years ago, but my email address isn't recognised so not then. I think the Doc has held his temper amazingly well over there as has Jammy (same jammy over on HDD, where I am a member).

One point I'd like to make is that manufacturers should be rightly proud of their creations. Some get so immersed in their particular ways, that it seems tolerance of alternative methods goes out the window. Forums largely run by manufacturers will never be fully open and unbiased, how can they be? I'm stunned how well the WTF thread has been so far, the feeling generally being - 'Why bring this spat here?'

To any WTF members looking in here - NVA electronics can be used with any reasonable speaker out there and may well bring back the music perceptions they reproduce over other amps, which all too easily bland out what's there in the recording. LS2 speaker cable is safe and cheap enough (better than many dealer bought confections at much higher prices). The Cubes can sound enchanting, but need some work initially - but you do this with expensive speakers as a matter of course, so why not Cubes?
Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way...The time has gone, The song is over, Thought I'd something more to say...

slinger
EUROPEAN_UNION

Unread post by slinger »

Dave, do you mean WHF as in What Hi-Fi rather than WTF? I do much prefer your acronym though if that's the case. :lol:
Amps - NVA P50, AP30, A40, Stanislav Palo Tube Headphone Amp BB 85
Speakers - Monitor Audio Silver RX2
Cables - NVA LS1+LS3, SSC, Gotham S/PDIF, IBRA Optical
Digital - NAD C516BEE, SONY ST-SDB900 DAB TUNER, TEAC UD-H01 DAC
Analogue - Pro-Ject Debut Carbon Esprit SB, Graham Slee Gram Amp 2 Phono
Cans - Grado SR80, ATH-M50X

Frasernash
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by Frasernash »

slinger wrote:Dave, do you mean WHF as in What Hi-Fi rather than WTF? I do much prefer your acronym though if that's the case. :lol:
steady on daveh75 chill out dude the whole things got silly which is what happens with a lot of hifi nerds

_D_S_J_R_
Wales

Unread post by _D_S_J_R_ »

Who's daveh75?

That mag and its forum has been WTF for me for nigh on a decade now. It's actually refugees from there with Audiolab/Marantz/Cyrus into MA metal cone speakers that heaved a sigh of relief changing to AVI in the early days I remember.
Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way...The time has gone, The song is over, Thought I'd something more to say...

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

daveh75 is busy insulting me at WTF.

BillyBones
Great Britain

Unread post by BillyBones »

According to daveh75 I am insane, along with any other person who owns any NVA products :grin:

terrybooth
Great Britain

Unread post by terrybooth »

"There is a pleasure, sure, in being mad that none but the madmen know" - Dryden
Pioneer PL71/DL103/ Phono2/HiFiPi/P90SA/TIS/CubixPro