NVA bake-off

Room to arrange and discuss bake-offs
Neilwootton
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: NVA bake-off

Unread post by Neilwootton »

Will do Doc, the LS1 was an interesting comparison in point seeing off all other cables when tried with other equipment.

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

You have LS6 coming in this new lot.

Neilwootton

That will be a revelation I'm guessing, I will say the little Proac tabs liked ls2, it tamed them nicely. Big Tannoy's liked it too.

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

LS2 is interesting, in some (very few) situations it is the best solution, I am not sure why, and in others the other NVA LS trounce it.

BTW the cable is a LS6 and a half :lol: as I was messing around when developing LS7 / TSCS. It was sitting here doing nothing so I sent with that loan. Same with the interconnect that will come to you, it is an early version of the TIS, again as it was here not being used.

The speakers a bit of a hotchpotch too as the top grille on one of them is wrong, as I ran out and had to put something on. The whole thing was a bit of a rush so it was what was hanging around here.

Neilwootton

Much appreciated Doc, looking forward to hearing it all.

_D_S_J_R_
Wales

Unread post by _D_S_J_R_ »

LS2 isn't a 'speaker' cable, but a top quality version of an electrical install cable that just happens to be perfect for a simple, decent gauge non-nonsense speaker wire.. I'm sure the other LS's are better in their own way, but LS2 works with absolutely anything out there and is as benign as any cost-conscious music lover would need.

The Doc has summed up the A20 vs. bigger models very well, but may I add that ALL NVA power amps get the emotional connection and the venue/production details with the music down to a fine art and the bigger power supplies in the larger models just re-enforce this with an increasingly firmed-up and slightly more 'solid' presentation.

Couple of personal views on some of the grear played based on my experiences.. I don't know the Icon 20, but remember the 40 sounding rather thick and over-soft, nothing like the rather nice, later larger copper-top Icon integrateds. The AI500, when working in its early days, always sounded soft and out of focus to me, but all surviving ones will have been half-rebuilt by now, so may be different today, thirty years after these were made. As for the Nait 5, interesting comments about the bass. All my memories of the bloody things in all versions are for a boppy bass but with harsh screaming sound when played at anything over a modest volume level - these really hard clip badly.

AVI NuNeutrons are balanced exactly the same as Kans and the more modern divers comprehensively trounce the earlier Linn model I remember. Just thought I'd mention it if the AVI's were pulled out from the back wall, as bass completely disappears, leaving the midrange out on its own I remember.
Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way...The time has gone, The song is over, Thought I'd something more to say...

jayman67

Unread post by jayman67 »

its a bloody shame there's nothing nearer london going on,im itching to hear a phono 2,it seems all the good stuff happens 300 odd miles away :(
Yamaha NS1000M speakers,Pioneer PLC-590 turntable,,Alphason HR-100S-MCS/Zeta tonearms,Denon 103sa cartridge ,Sony 700ES Amp,Sony X555ES CD Player, Nakamichi ca5 pre amp.

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Organise a bake-off with some hi-fi mates or advert it on other forums and I will loan one for the bake-off. Hopefully you can get a Fireybum owner from AoS to come.

jayman67

Unread post by jayman67 »

the firebottle is no better than the phono stage in my nakamichi c-a5 pre amp,ive heard them side by side :)
Yamaha NS1000M speakers,Pioneer PLC-590 turntable,,Alphason HR-100S-MCS/Zeta tonearms,Denon 103sa cartridge ,Sony 700ES Amp,Sony X555ES CD Player, Nakamichi ca5 pre amp.

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

The point is Jayman that the powers that be at AoS and the organisers of NEBO and now this MiBO and other bake-offs have either refused to do it or refused to publish the results. This is seriously pissing me off as I detest censorship, which AoS practices in spades, especially where NVA is concerned. So for me it is the process I want to see, and of course I would like NVA to win or be seen as better but for me that is not the important point. I had the same games played in the past between a Rega amp and a NVA amp.