NVA bake-off

Room to arrange and discuss bake-offs
Neilwootton
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

NVA bake-off

Unread post by Neilwootton »

Looking to arrange a bake-off for 22 October at my home in Grimsby.
My system will be my newly acquired A20/P20, Inspire TT/Koetsu Rosewood, Graham Slee phono stage, sound cords throughout, Ls1 cable and choice of speakers, Proacs super tabs, AVI Neutron monitors, Living Voice.

All welcome, can accommodate as many who wish to come.
Bit of background, coming from valves to NVA and being astounded the above setup has seen off a few (very expensive) toob friends systems.
One example is a dealer buddy of mine to whom I sold my Audio Innovations 500, he came round to collect it and asked why I was selling off all my valve gear to which I showed him the diddy NVA setup, his remark was, Oh, are they still going ?
I said it was that good he could bring anything round and compare, he rather smugly agreed and turned up the next day with a fully modded Linn lp12 (I know, sigh) Pathos twin towers toob amp and big Tannoy red Lancaster's.
It sounded OK with a little too much echo and with almost a reverb quality to it, bass was like a bucket of gravel being shaken about, he thought it was the dogs, his vinyl of choice was J L Hookers the Healer.
I proceeded to put my system on using Willie Nelson's Stardust playing through the Avi's. Within the first 2/3 minutes I could see his face drop and confusion set in, I could actually see him trying to figure it out, he said he couldn't believe he'd turned up with 10k's worth and it had been spanked.
He began to check over his Linn making excuses etc, I told him the best thing to do was get a hacksaw and trim 6 inches off each end as it would fit in the bin better !

So, for this bake-off there will be some heavy hitters coming with various tube gear and ls35a nutter buddies of mine too.
Anyone with other NVA gear, especially phono stages would be great to further ram home the point.
PS, my Avi's are modded with steel plate and wadding removed and yes, sound alot better.

Let me know subjectivists.
Neil.

antonio66

Re: NVA bake-off

Unread post by antonio66 »

From my home town, would have loved to have come but now "daahn sarf". I hope the bake off is a great success. 'Up the Mariners.'

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

Sounds fun. I can send you a loan phono stage either Phono1 or 2 for the bake-off if you need it. Will it be only MC used.

Neilwootton

That would be fantastic Doc as I'm sure they would thrash the Graham Slee easily.
Neil.

jammy395

Unread post by jammy395 »

To far for me Neil, but sounds like a hoot....Hope you get a good response.

:clap: :guiness;

Neilwootton

It's gonna be a bloodbath Jammy, I predict dustbins full of shiny toobs.

_D_S_J_R_
Wales

Unread post by _D_S_J_R_ »

Which Neutrons are these? The originals had a token small dome Vifa unit coming in at 10k, the smooth little bass unit left wide open - it worked too and communicated more properly like other simple less crossover-cluttered speakers do, although Ash later said they were complete crap and merely an introduction to their subsequent range of speakers. The Neutron IV was probably the best Neutron model in stock form I remember.
Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way...The time has gone, The song is over, Thought I'd something more to say...

terrybooth
Great Britain

Unread post by terrybooth »

Hmm. Two hours away. Tempted.
Pioneer PL71/DL103/ Phono2/HiFiPi/P90SA/TIS/CubixPro

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

Four to five hours depending on traffic - I don't think I am tempted.

Neilwootton

The Avi's are the NuNeutron (2) Vifa and Scanspeak combination, always been impressed with how fast and holographic they are and must admit they improved vastly by lining them with steel plate and removing the wadding. I've had and heard pretty much every mini monitor over the years and found the Avi's to be the most enjoyable to use followed by Proac super tabs.
They came alive on the end of the A20/P20 so much so they have been in situ since receiving the NVA. Everyone is impressed by the combination.