A visit to SavvyPaul's

Room to arrange and discuss bake-offs
Quarknosis

A visit to SavvyPaul's

Unread post by Quarknosis »

A pleasant morning was spent driving in the countryside west of Durham to reach SavvyPaul's house to collect the Pioneer PL-71 that he so generously offered.

While I was there I listened to the Cube 1's with his NVA amplification and at times I was just transfixed by music that he was playing, particularly what he described as a smaller scale piano piece. We also listened to a couple of larger scale classical pieces, some jazz tracks and a Merle Haggard and Willie Nelson track. All were thoroughly enjoyable even though the classical and country are not in my normal listening spectrum. The first thing that struck me was the NVA clarity, then the stress free way that the music was presented.

I thought the bass was very enjoyable but I do feel that I am getting better from the IMF transmission lines that I have recently bought, however I was quite taken aback at one point with the bass depth and impact on the last piece Paul played. Having heard the Cubettes and my own Doc Mod speakers the Cube 1s are a big step up, and so they should be at the price. After trying the Cubettes I had given up on the thought of Cubes but now that I have heard the 1's I would say that they are definitely worth a try, they would certainly be back on my wishlist if I could find the money.

As well as chatting about NVA, Hi-Fi/audio and music we spent a short time talking about Pauls' vintage clothing business which is interesting, his website for Savvy Row is informative and humorous and worth a visit.

So thank you Paul for your kindness and hospitality.

There will be a thread on the Pioneer to follow once I have got some pictures sorted out but first impressions of the sound are very positive :dance:
Main System. Amp - Luxman LV-120, CD - Pioneer PDX505 & Hitachi DA 401. Turntable - Trio KD-2055/Denon DL-110 & Ortofon VMS20E. Cassette Deck - JVC KD A55. Speakers - Arcam Alpha connected with NVA LS3.

Headphone System - Little Dot Mkiii headphone amp, various vintage CD players into NVA P50 with Sennheiser HD600 and Beyer DT 880

George Hincapie
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: A visit to SavvyPaul's

Unread post by George Hincapie »

Seconded. A gent.

Daniel Quinn

Unread post by Daniel Quinn »

Nice to see the social side of h/s being bolstered . ;)

savvypaul
Great Britain

Unread post by savvypaul »

Delighted that the PL71 is going to a good home. 'Quark' has the experience, ability and time to do it justice and the forum will benefit from the learning involved in the restoration and subsequent listening.

We could have chatted for much, much longer, but shoulder of lamb could not be served without proper roasties, so kitchen duties had to cut us short. I'm sure we'll stay in touch.
I am in the hi-fi trade
Company Name: NVA Hi-Fi
https://nvahifi.co.uk/