MC Phono Stage Bake-off

Room to arrange and discuss bake-offs
Eric Shun
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: MC Phono Stage Bake-off

Unread post by Eric Shun »

Update on AoS from Biggy (the man with the golden ears) with regards the arrival today of his new Jolida JD9:

Early signs are promising and the fact there are more upgrades available should mean it can get better.

It was never going to be anything different was it? Why he simply doesn't stop faffing about and save up for the Phono 2/extra PSU and be done with it? Problem is that if he did, the smoke rising from Wrexham would be visible from space :P
"Nobody flounces better, makes me feel sad for the rest
Nobody flounces half as good as you, BigBottyFlouncy, you're the best"
:clap:

Classicrock
Great Britain

Unread post by Classicrock »

What would any sensible person do? Buy a Phono 2 or remain on AOS. Of course I am assured that there is no problem owning NVA or talking about it on AOS from the owner. So why are members scared to buy NVA or mention it? Perhaps he is scared of upsetting Firebottle even more?
I Know What I like (In Your Wardrobe)

_D_S_J_R_
Wales

Unread post by _D_S_J_R_ »

You know, years ago I loved messing around with box-swapping, buying and selling at little loss (gear didn't appreciate in value back then and I bought at 'trade' prices, which weren't as advantageous as they are today). I have to admit that separate phono stages were few and far between and limited to the very cheap stuff, the Moth one with 'Black-Head' step-up (I seem to remember) and then a bit of a jump to ARC's confections costing several hundred quid minimum... Once I had the big active ATC's I kinda jumped off the ever-changing-gear 'tour bus' and never climbed back on. I can see the point as an ex-retailer (I can't change my history and don't see why I should deny it!), of people working their way up the upgrading ladder and in my case I did try to make it a genuine ladder of improvement rather than an occasional greasy pole, but some around and about the forums chop and change with absolutely no rhyme or reason and I have to button my lip with these people and let them spend/waste their money time after time as it's none of my damned business.

I blame HiFi World magazine a lot for this, testing valvey and other unheard-of stuff that few people buy in the real world, that really isn't very good out there and that then gets sold on at huge depreciation for the original buyer when he (usually a 'he') cottons on. The fact that HFW seemed to like it a few years ago gives it some kind of kudos and so the piece of kit does the rounds of the few dozen forum readers before it finally breaks under the strain. On the opposite end, you have to acknowledge Naim, as such is the cachet now around this brand, any of their gear fetches silly money for what it really is - and of course it doesn't usually fail until the circuits drift so badly off that the sound is so terribly bad it's totally unlistenable to everyone who hears it.
Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way...The time has gone, The song is over, Thought I'd something more to say...

Eric Shun
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by Eric Shun »

Classicrock wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2017 5:56 pmWhat would any sensible person do? Buy a Phono 2 or remain on AOS. Of course I am assured that there is no problem owning NVA or talking about it on AOS from the owner. So why are members scared to buy NVA or mention it? Perhaps he is scared of upsetting Firebottle even more?
He's now got his own dedicated thread titled "New toy - Jolida JD9 MKII" and even though the unit has only been at chez Biggy for barely a day, the plan is to tube roll the unit tomorrow! The mind really does boggle. How on earth can you get a feel for something new in your system and want to tinker so soon? Given that Il Duce likes to modify everything he has, so that in his own mind, it has a superior edge over what everybody else uses, Biggy and his golden ears really have landed at his ideal home. Its a match made in Wrexham :mrgreen:
"Nobody flounces better, makes me feel sad for the rest
Nobody flounces half as good as you, BigBottyFlouncy, you're the best"
:clap: