New MCRU meet up

Room to arrange and discuss bake-offs
Hemmo1969
Ukraine

Re: New MCRU meet up

Unread post by Hemmo1969 »

antonio66 wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2017 4:33 pm
Dr Bunsen Honeydew wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2017 2:16 pm I know where every pair of Cubes are, what and where were these borrowed from.

If they are pictures then it is even more nonsense, what are they trying to do. If they are pictures then put up a picture, nothing of no substance will produce anything of any substance, it is all :hbs:
Cube 2 purchased from this gentleman along with these A80's. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NVA-A80-Mono ... SwySlZ-0qp
I bid against you for the amps :Bllocks:

antonio66
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by antonio66 »

Not on this occasion, they were purchased approx. 6 months ago by a friend and had to be returned because one of them was faulty. I did not bid because I had no idea if the fault had been made good and anyway I am happy with my A60. Good look if another pair become available.

antonio66

savvypaul wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2017 5:15 pm I think if were lucky enough to have a dedicated music room, I would still have carpet, rug, big sofa and chairs, heavy curtains etc etc. I mean, have you seen me? I don't keep myself minimalist, let alone my room... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Turning the question around...do you agree that in a traditionally furnished room, given a little bit of thought to absorbtion, studio type treatments are not necessary?
Most probably, although I have never had any room treatment in my own listening room. I have heard a demo were room treatments were put in and taken out and you can definitely hear the difference. Would the same difference be made by a pair of curtains, I don't know. I am sure if your listening position is close to the back wall you do need something behind you. If I were lucky enough to have a dedicated music room it is certainly something I would consider.

antonio66

Dr Bunsen Honeydew wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2017 4:46 pm So he bought them, you are confusing me.

Re room treatment, it is just another bullshit to fall for. Where do you think they get the materials to make these things, do you think they have magic up new materials. You can buy the stuff for a few £ or even some pence at B&Q or Homebase. It is all marketing and bollocks which is why he has to do a selling job at MCRU place, foot taping and all that.. There is nothing they make that you couldn't knock up in less than an hour for a few quid. And as far as the daft pictures FFS they are pictures, so buy some picture and stick / hide a slab of polystyrene behind it. I doubt it will do anything. Bass traps (as called) in reality they couldn't catch a cold, it is just tarted up foam blocks.

Why try to fight the room when you can work with it.
Don't want to confuse you Doc, someone I know purchased his pair of Cube 2's and A80 off ebay. I went with him and we met the seller at Leicester Forest services on the M1. He ended up returning them due to a fault with one of the A80's, although when I heard I did not notice a fault and thought it sounded good.
You may well be able to make some room treatments cheaper, but not everyone has the inclination or workspace to do it. I don't believe they are pictures, the ones that appealed to me were move arty designs, presumably to stop reflections. FFS you'll have us making our own amps next. :lol:

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

It is not the same, it is a non market, there is no need and the need being claimed is fraud. Do you think the rest of hi-fi is the same well it isn't. This is more akin to the stupid stones and other rip-off nonsense.

So where is this nva stuff now?

antonio66

Don't know if he resold the Cubes, but the link I put in before is for the sale of the A80's.
Many of the rooms at hifi shows use these treatments, and they don't even sell the stuff. Manufacturers and dealers want their rooms to sound there best and they are using room treatments. Make of that what you will.

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

But they don't make the room better, it is all bullshit. I challenge anyone here to say they use them and they are better than just having a normal room, normal furniture. The only situation I can see is if they haven't the skill to get the speaker voiced to the room by correct positioning and are trying to compensate for it.

If we judged real hi-fi systems on most of the stupidity that goes on in hi-fi show dem rooms none of us would have good music..

southall-1998
Wales

Unread post by southall-1998 »

Sorry to go off topic.

Have any of you tried listening to your systems, with your hands cupped behind ears. It's unnatural way of listening, but the results are interesting.

S.
Shane Lonergan.

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Yes it is like listening to horn loudspeakers. Honk!

IPNIGHTLY

Unread post by IPNIGHTLY »

southall-1998 wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2017 11:31 pm Sorry to go off topic.

Have any of you tried listening to your systems, with your hands cupped behind ears. It's unnatural way of listening, but the results are interesting.

S.
When you have ears as big as mine you don't have to cup your hands :lol: