HFS at The WAM Show 2020

Room to arrange and discuss bake-offs
savvypaul
Great Britain

HFS at The WAM Show 2020

Unread post by savvypaul »

I'll be paying for a couple of rooms (or more, if there is demand), for HFS members who are able to exhibit at the next WAM enthusiasts show at Kegworth...Saturday 14th & Sunday 15th March 2020.

Tomasz will take one room to show off his uncontrolled headphone habit. What we do with the other room(s) is up to us. To my mind...the more interesting / alternative, the better.

Perhaps, we can show what we can put together for less than a couple of hundred pounds? Or demonstrate the benefits of larger woofers (the opposite of WAF).

I'm happy to bring along a few vintage bits of kit (it is an enthusiasts show rather than a trade show, so I'll be leaving NVA at home - you are free to bring NVA as enthusiasts, of course).

I'll post more of the logistics regarding rooms, later, but assuming viable arrangements...who would be up for a bit of a get-together? I believe that pies, curry & pints are freely flowin :guiness; g...
Amplification - NVA P90SA / A70s & A60
Analogue - BTE Designs Lenco L59 / Garrard 401 / Ortofon TA-210 / Jelco 750L / Audio Technica ATP 12T / Ortofon SPU / Denon 103 / NVA Phono 2
Digital - Sonore MicroRendu / RME DAC-2
Speakers - NVA Cube 1 / Klipsch Heresy 3

“The one who would whistle to, Throbbing Gristle through, harsh times in Umberstone Covert”

Bencat57
Great Britain

Re: HFS at The WAM Show 2020

Unread post by Bencat57 »

Hi Paul

I have been at the Kegworth show the last two years and was fortunate to meet Richard at the last one . I will have a room again this year and will be showing a pair of doubled active KEF 103 Reference speakers with (currently ) a pair of Quad 405 amplifiers.

I have two pair of the 103's and they will stand one on top of the other with one used a fully active set and the lower with just the bass units wired in parallel to the other pair. I will be using a MiniDSP Dirac unit as the Pre / Crossover and DAC . As I have lots of work to do to get my second pair suitable for use (remove passive crossover , paint the cabinet , drill a pair of holes for a second banana plug input etc) I have also decided that I will try somehting different in the amplifier department . I have a pair of NVA P20 units and will make these the amplifier with one for each speaker Left and Right. If things work out and everything sounds pretty good will let you know what room I am in so anyone interested can come and listen . If things go badly then will revert to the Quads , still sounds good but of less interest to those on this forum .

Would have liked to try the improved P20 you have announced but sadly having retired recently funds are not that fanatastic now.

savvypaul
Great Britain

We need a couple of volunteers to help Tomasz & I - just an hour or two each day to cover breaks.

Please comment, below, or PM.

Many thanks,

Paul
Analogue - BTE Designs Lenco L59 / Garrard 401 / Ortofon TA-210 / Jelco 750L / Audio Technica ATP 12T / Ortofon SPU / Denon 103 / NVA Phono 2

“The one who would whistle to, Throbbing Gristle through, harsh times in Umberstone Covert”

savvypaul
Great Britain

3 weeks today.

Anyone coming?

ArloFlynn
Ireland

Unread post by ArloFlynn »

Intending to visit, pending the unforeseen. Made it every year since 2010. I like to support the people that go to the trouble of entertaining me.

Kevin.
Kevin.

No Valves - Technics SL1210/Jelco/DL103 (vdh) - Phono2 - P50SA - A70's - Cubettes
Valves - Cambridge CD - World Designs Pre3 - WAD 6550 - Troels Gravesen CA18rnx speakers.

nilsatisnisioptimum
Great Britain

Unread post by nilsatisnisioptimum »

I will in all probability be "lost" somewhere between Valencia and Bilbao on my touring bike ( pedal powered) I hope you all have a good time
Airlink BPS 3110S with LDA DC filter, Rega Planar 8 with Apheta 3, LDA MCJ3 phono, NVA P90 SA MK2, NVA A70 X 2, Cambridge Audio CXC, Denafrips Ares2 DAC, Meridian 204 FM tuner, Audio Technica ATH 70 cans, NVA Cubix & LS6 & Oppo 2 cans and Activo CT10 with Tidal on the move

zebbo
Great Britain

Unread post by zebbo »

I won't be able to make it but you're welcome to borrow the big Sony CD player if someone can pick it up? Don't want to courier it as it's a heavy old lump and I don't have any original packaging, would be too risky.
Audio Grail "Sable" Garrard 401 with Cumbrian Green Slate plinth / SME V / Benz Micro Gullwing SLR, Phono 3 + 2X BBPSU - MEGA!, NVA TAS, NVA Cubix-Pro, (top & mid sections). (Oh and Richard's Sony CDP-X779ES, (if I can fix it), for when I fancy a bit of the devil's spawn!) :lol:

29mile
Has thanked: 0

Unread post by 29mile »

Is the WAM Show still going ahead despite the virus ?
Tony at Wigwam seems very blase about it all which is a bit concerning. I suspect numbers may well be down on previous years.

savvypaul
Great Britain

29mile wrote:
Wed Mar 11, 2020 11:37 am
Is the WAM Show still going ahead despite the virus ?
Tony at Wigwam seems very blase about it all which is a bit concerning. I suspect numbers may well be down on previous years.
Apparently so. If it had been a couple of weeks ago then I'm sure that it would have been a success. If it were a week or two from now then I'm sure that it would be cancelled / postponed.

Commercially, I suspect that Peter is in the horrible position of not being covered for loss unless such events are cancelled by a government instruction.

Tomasz and I will make a decision about our attendance, at some point on Thursday.

Lindsayt
Vatican City

Unread post by Lindsayt »

It's a tricky one this.

On the one hand I'd love to attend the show. I've been to all of them apart from the first one. Plus I had the honour of exhibiting 3 times at Scalford.

On the other hand there's sensible health and safety risks.

If I go I'll feel guilty for putting my family's health at risk. If they're going to get it, I'd rather they didn't get it because of something that I had done.
On the other hand, if I don't go I'll feel guilty for not supporting the show, as well as not being available should anyone want a break from exhibiting and trust me enough to look after their room.

As savypaul quite rightly said on the thread over on the WAM, Peter hasn't had the luck since the show was moved to Kegworth.

Snow in 2018. No issues 2019. Coronavirus 2020.

C'est la vie!