Royd Seven.

Post any interesting items from ebay here...
Forum rules
1. No ad-hominem
2. No spamming or shilling
southall-1998
Wales

Royd Seven.

Unread post by southall-1998 »

Royd Seven speakers with a high starting price. No real pics either.... :roll:

S.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Royd-Seven-lo ... 417ef4729b
Shane Lonergan.

jammy395
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Royd Seven.

Unread post by jammy395 »

Yep could have been done with some better pic's.
Its only a starting price Shane i think they should go for considerably more, the wee Royds are becoming scarcer - esp in good nick.
Never heard the 7's though.

southall-1998
Wales

I thought the Royd Seven was a ''budget'' type of speaker?

Jammy, your Edens are a far more sophisticated Royd then the Seven !!!

S.
Shane Lonergan.

Andrew

Unread post by Andrew »

I had a pair of A7 which I think are very similar. I gave them away to somebody because I already had Edens and Sapphires. I'd only ever used them for testing new purchases in case they fried my speakers.

I gave them a proper listen before passing them on and I was very surprised to hear how good they were. Not a long way behind the other Royds. Definitely the best sound I've heard from a speaker using that cheapie Audax tweeter. Normally it's a bit of a horror, but in the Royds it covered it's tracks well. In a small room, I could definitely live with a pair of A7s and not feel like I was missing out.

southall-1998
Wales

Andrew wrote:I had a pair of A7 which I think are very similar. I gave them away to somebody because I already had Edens and Sapphires. I'd only ever used them for testing new purchases in case they fried my speakers.

I gave them a proper listen before passing them on and I was very surprised to hear how good they were. Not a long way behind the other Royds. Definitely the best sound I've heard from a speaker using that cheapie Audax tweeter. Normally it's a bit of a horror, but in the Royds it covered it's tracks well. In a small room, I could definitely live with a pair of A7s and not feel like I was missing out.
Was your A7 the MKII version? The early A7 used on odd pink/purple looking tweeter.

The Royd Seven speakers in the ebay link uses the same driver that is housed in the early Rega Ela!

S.
Shane Lonergan.

Andrew

Unread post by Andrew »

Yeah mine had the same Audax as the JPW Sonata and Mini Monitor. If the Sevens use a better tweeter, they must be more of a replacement for the Conistons. I'll have to look them up :D

Edit Edit: I think it's just the same driver as the A7 minus the dust cap. They look identical to the later A7

southall-1998
Wales

I want to get more Royds later in the year. I want to get the Coniston R and Sorcerer. And maybe perhaps an A7 MK11 and keep it for back up duties.

I'm getting fed up and more worried with my Exposure X loud ''switch on ''bump'' This thing will destroy Lowther drive units. But at least I have my NVA AP10PX....:)

What amp did you use with the A7, Andrew?

S.
Shane Lonergan.

Andrew

Unread post by Andrew »

I only ever fired them up for proper listening on that one occasion, but it was with a P50 and a pair of A40s. Based on that short listening session I thought they were very good indeed.

southall-1998
Wales

Yes, I will expect those NVA amps to work very well with those Royds. I will say again that I enjoyed trying some Minstrels with my NVA AP10PX, the musicality was second to none. I was using a Naim CD Player :mrgreen:

Have you tried the Rega Planet CD player with Royds?

S.
Shane Lonergan.

jammy395

Unread post by jammy395 »

I want to get more Royds later in the year. I want to get the Coniston R and Sorcerer. And maybe perhaps an A7 MK11 (Shane).

Well the very best of luck in yer search Shane........ :o ;)