Royd Seven.

Post any interesting items from ebay here...
Forum rules
1. No ad-hominem
2. No spamming or shilling
_D_S_J_R_
Wales

Re: Royd Seven.

Unread post by _D_S_J_R_ »

Andrew wrote:I guess it's horses for courses but I thought the digit/positron was absolutely woeful. Along with the Micrimega Microdac, it is probably the worst sounding DAC I've had. Of course, I've no idea what it can become when modded, but the standard one was just so muddy and lacklustre, I felt I had to speak up on that one.
The Digit as supplied was a bit sluggish and fruity, as was the norm for the Bitstream DAC chipset. Twinning the power supplies makes a not inconsiderable difference and made my mind up about even now ordinary audio line driver chips NEEDING a CLEAN supply at rf (even the humble output chip in the Digit is far too wide in bandwidth really). I've done a few things as suggested on the DIY Audio site and the output caps are now FG types. The performance is now excellent to me - and remember, I grew up on the tune-dem way of listening, a lyrical, melodic presentation that isn't stodgy.
Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way...The time has gone, The song is over, Thought I'd something more to say...

Andrew
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by Andrew »

I well believe it. Players with decent power supplies always seem to float my boat. If I had the skill and knowledge, I'd have loved to mod a TDA1541 based player or DAC.

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

_D_S_J_R_ wrote:
Andrew wrote:I guess it's horses for courses but I thought the digit/positron was absolutely woeful. Along with the Micrimega Microdac, it is probably the worst sounding DAC I've had. Of course, I've no idea what it can become when modded, but the standard one was just so muddy and lacklustre, I felt I had to speak up on that one.
The Digit as supplied was a bit sluggish and fruity, as was the norm for the Bitstream DAC chipset. Twinning the power supplies makes a not inconsiderable difference and made my mind up about even now ordinary audio line driver chips NEEDING a CLEAN supply at rf (even the humble output chip in the Digit is far too wide in bandwidth really). I've done a few things as suggested on the DIY Audio site and the output caps are now FG types. The performance is now excellent to me - and remember, I grew up on the tune-dem way of listening, a lyrical, melodic presentation that isn't stodgy.
My best incarnation with the Digit (NVA DACon) was two 300va linear supplies. I also changed the NE5532 for OP27, and some critical cap and res changes.

It played good music.

musique!

Unread post by musique! »

Hi Royd lovers ! :grin:

I've just started a collection of Royd two weeks ago by buying a pair of Seven after repluggin my Coniston R for my best pleasure : they really got something nice to me ! I prefer the Coniston but Royd speakers rellay got nice medium who hypnotise me :lol:
I also had a pair of Rega Ela which have the same speakers of the Coniston

jammy395

Unread post by jammy395 »

Royds are fine speakers.
I have a pair of Eden's which are fun.
I think I know what you mean by Hypnotic, they kind of command you listen more, very foot tapping & contagious. :dance:

musique!

The Eden really looks like the coniston R and the Rega Ela ! Do you know the différences between the models ?

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

musique!

Dr Bunsen Honeydew wrote:http://www.roydaudio.org/
Hey hey ! You can find me in their forum , unfortunatelly there is not many activity :|