Rega Speakers.

Post any interesting items from ebay here...
Forum rules
1. No ad-hominem
2. No spamming or shilling
southall-1998
Wales

Re: Rega Speakers.

Unread post by southall-1998 »

More Rega speakers.

First Link: The Rega RS3. These are very good speakers. Very musical sound with tight bass.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Rega-RS3-floo ... 3f3513267e

Second Link:

The Rega Jura. No idea if their sound but they carry a good reputation. Good price too!!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Rega-Jura-Spe ... 338e43d962

S.
Shane Lonergan.

_D_S_J_R_
Wales

Unread post by _D_S_J_R_ »

The RS3 is a better balanced speaker than a stock Jura, which either has too much or too little bass depending on version, but I have hugely fond memories of the mk1 Jura with a cheap bath sponge cut in half and placed sideways to tame the bass excess. These relished bi-amping too.

The Series 2 Jura offered better driver integration, but the changes to the bass alignment dried out the bass too much for the brighter upper-mid balance and all too easily, they could sound too shrill. Rega made drastic changes to their amps and CD players at this time and some of the involving bass quality was diluted in my opinion. In comparison, Arcam had improved their comparably priced stuff in the early noughties and Rega contracted hugely at this time I remember. I know we've been here in various ways before, but the Brio R and matching DAC really did lift things for them a few years ago and helped re-establish the brand from has-beens to well worth it again in my opinion. NVA owners can smile benevolently though, since if used correctly, I believe they have something musically better still :)
Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way...The time has gone, The song is over, Thought I'd something more to say...

southall-1998
Wales

Interesting, Dave. Thanks for sharing.

S.
Shane Lonergan.

southall-1998
Wales

Shane Lonergan.

southall-1998
Wales

These might sell for a good price. Based in Manchester.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/REGA-RS3-floo ... 4ad4be754f

S.
Shane Lonergan.

southall-1998
Wales

Shane Lonergan.

southall-1998
Wales

Nice tidy pair of Rega RS1 speakers. I would have been tempted for them if I didn't have nice speakers already.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/131192855308? ... EBIDX%3AIT

S.
Shane Lonergan.

Andrew
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by Andrew »

Somebody asked me for a pic of the Ela crossover a while back. Here's one I took today:

And here's the Royd Apex crossover. The speakers have very similar cabinets and drivers, but the Apex had an external removable crossover to allow active operation. I'm sure it will interest Rega and Royd fans. I still hope to get a pair of Apex to compare.

_D_S_J_R_
Wales

Unread post by _D_S_J_R_ »

The ELA sounded more 'direct' as I recall, but the Apex might now be judged the more neutral or accurate. Well over thirty years ago, so sorry if I have it wrong.
Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way...The time has gone, The song is over, Thought I'd something more to say...

Andrew
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by Andrew »

Thanks for sharing, Dave. I'm just intrigued to hear anything at all from someone who's heard both. Up to now, I only had Malcolm Steward's opinion to go on.

I'm sure I heard or read that the Royds were heavier, so maybe some steel plate in there. Considering the quality of drivers used and the decent transmission line cabinets, both were a bargain in their day. At the prices Elas go for these days i regard them as one of the greatest speaker bargains around. Apex come up so rarely it's hard to know what they are likely to go for.