Rega Speakers.

Post any interesting items from ebay here...
Forum rules
1. No ad-hominem
2. No spamming or shilling
southall-1998
Wales

Rega Speakers.

Unread post by southall-1998 »

This thread is for Rega speakers on ebay.

First link: The Rega Kyte. I've never heard the Kytes but know they carry a good reputation for their musicality.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Rega-Kyte-Boo ... 2ed187f94d

Second Link: The Rega Ara. Again never heard them but also carry good reputation.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Rega-Ara-Spea ... 3a8fad3f29

S.
Shane Lonergan.

Lazmo
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0
Jamaica

Re: Rega Speakers.

Unread post by Lazmo »

Had some Rs1's a few years back nice top end if you like choral acoustic not much mid or low end for me and my taste
The LARGE print giveth - and the small print taketh away.

Macca

Unread post by Macca »

Kyte is the only Rega speaker I have heard and it was twenty years ago. I remember them being lovely and clear but absolutely no bass whatsoever, just upper mid and top. they were on wall brackets though so maybe not the best implementation. For a well balanced miniature I much prefer the JBL Control One over any that I have heard but I guess that will go down like a lead balloon here :)

_D_S_J_R_
Wales

Unread post by _D_S_J_R_ »

'Ere I go again..... :o :roll:

The working parts of Kyte and Ara are the same as far as I can see, as are the working parts of the EL8 and Alya. The earlier models lacked bass almost totally, but in the days of boingy LP12's and fruity rega deck/cartridges, it didn't matter at all.

For me, the Ara and Alya, as well as the ELA2, were products more for a more neutral vinyl and digital age. The tweeter sparkle remains, which is pleasant but not 'correct' in my opinion, but in all of 'em, as said above, the mid can be delightfully communicative and enjoyable.

The Kyte could be supplied with a simple, cheap wall bracket (two bits of angle-iron with locating pegs/holes) which worked very well. Frankly, as stated above, these needed this type of mounting. The Ara had a touch more weight and warmth of tone and could be shelf or stand mounted to advantage - they looked better to me as well.

I haven't had this confirmed, but the RS1 looks to share the same fine (bass)/mid driver and of course prices have risen in fifteen years.
Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way...The time has gone, The song is over, Thought I'd something more to say...

Andrew

Unread post by Andrew »

I bought those Kytes mostly because they ended some TLC, but also because I've never heard them before. I'll treat them to some nice exotic veneer, I think. Might take a while to get round to, but should be fun.

southall-1998
Wales

Andrew wrote:I bought those Kytes mostly because they ended some TLC, but also because I've never heard them before. I'll treat them to some nice exotic veneer, I think. Might take a while to get round to, but should be fun.
Please do a write up on them Kytes.

S.
Shane Lonergan.

southall-1998
Wales

_D_S_J_R_ wrote:'Ere I go again..... :o :roll:

The working parts of Kyte and Ara are the same as far as I can see, as are the working parts of the EL8 and Alya. The earlier models lacked bass almost totally, but in the days of boingy LP12's and fruity rega deck/cartridges, it didn't matter at all.

For me, the Ara and Alya, as well as the ELA2, were products more for a more neutral vinyl and digital age. The tweeter sparkle remains, which is pleasant but not 'correct' in my opinion, but in all of 'em, as said above, the mid can be delightfully communicative and enjoyable.

The Kyte could be supplied with a simple, cheap wall bracket (two bits of angle-iron with locating pegs/holes) which worked very well. Frankly, as stated above, these needed this type of mounting. The Ara had a touch more weight and warmth of tone and could be shelf or stand mounted to advantage - they looked better to me as well.

I haven't had this confirmed, but the RS1 looks to share the same fine (bass)/mid driver and of course prices have risen in fifteen years.
When you said Ela 2, are you regarding this one shown in the link- http://www.roydaudio.com/wp-content/gal ... xel_00.jpg

S.
Shane Lonergan.

Andrew

Unread post by Andrew »

southall-1998 wrote:
Andrew wrote:I bought those Kytes mostly because they ended some TLC, but also because I've never heard them before. I'll treat them to some nice exotic veneer, I think. Might take a while to get round to, but should be fun.

S.
Will do, Shane. If they are any good, you're welcome to borrow them once they are, smartened up :D

I've already got some Ametican Black Walnut veneer and some Burr walnut, but I fancy something even more exotic. I love veneers and sometimes buy them with no specific purpose. I always find something to use them on.

southall-1998
Wales

Andrew wrote:
southall-1998 wrote:

S.
Will do, Shane. If they are any good, you're welcome to borrow them once they are, smartened up :D

I've already got some Ametican Black Walnut veneer and some Burr walnut, but I fancy something even more exotic. I love veneers and sometimes buy them with no specific purpose. I always find something to use them on.
I should be free in a month time and I maybe might consider borrowing your Kytes. Electronic wise they will work fine with my AP10PX due to their lack of complexity.

Make sure the foam on the ports are intact. Are you going to buy foam grills too? My Royd A7 needs new foam grills !!!

Must confess here that I sometimes hanker for some more power. I feel an AP20 coming on soon :)

S.
Shane Lonergan.

Andrew

Unread post by Andrew »

I've got some spare acoustic foam somewhere from when I replaced some SBL grilles. It's only a small amount, so I might buy more. I never listen with grilles on though.

The cabinets have a "ding" on a rear corner, so I will fill and re-veneer. Some of the factory veneer Kytes are very attractive, so if you like them you can probably pick up some very tasty ones.

I've never had an AP10 but the 20 I had really hit the spot for me. I sometimes don't get why people are snobbish towards low power tranny amps yet will drop three grand on a low power valve amp and rave about it to all their mates. It's like only valve integrateds are acceptable for audiophile systems. If it's transistor, it has to be "class A" and/or have cricket-score wattage. Daft. Just daft.