Neat Petite.

Post any interesting items from ebay here...
Forum rules
1. No ad-hominem
2. No spamming or shilling
southall-1998
Wales

Neat Petite.

Unread post by southall-1998 »

Here we have a nice tidy pair of original Neat Petite speakers. I prefer these versions over the later MK III ones.

Like with all the Petite family, these need amplification with shed loads of current to make them belly dance !!

Good news-Bob @ Neat will still repair almost any old School Neat Loudspeaker.

Very good speakers IMO.

S.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/231235407123? ... EBIDX%3AIT
Shane Lonergan.

_D_S_J_R_
Wales

Re: Neat Petite.

Unread post by _D_S_J_R_ »

They need a set of ear muffs too, either over the tweeters or one's ears :grin:
Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way...The time has gone, The song is over, Thought I'd something more to say...

southall-1998
Wales

_D_S_J_R_ wrote:They need a set of ear muffs too, either over the tweeters or one's ears :grin:
lol, Dave :lol:

I still have my original petites. They are still boxed up atm.

When I was living in Southall I was using the petites with my Exposure X & Rega Planet MK1 CD Player. The sound was rich and musical. The bass lines I found groovy too :) My ears certainly didn't bleed !!

S.
Shane Lonergan.

Andrew
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by Andrew »

I think it's just horses for courses. If you like the BBC designs, many of the naim-associated speakers will be way too bright. Conversely, if you like the latter, the Beeb associated designs will likely send you to sleep. just different strokes.

FWIW I used to adore Petites but just don't "feel the love" in the same way today. I still enjoy the odd blast from them now and again, though. This pair of Petites fell off when priced at £250. I reckon £195-220 would be maker like it.

southall-1998
Wales

That sounds about right, Andrew. My Petites cost me £211 quid from ebay in late 2013. If I ever decide to sell them on I will get my money back for sure.

S.
Shane Lonergan.

_D_S_J_R_
Wales

Unread post by _D_S_J_R_ »

But the BBC designs are more neutral - i.e. the tweeter doesn't add it's own sparkle and fizz to everything played through the system. Even drum kits don't fizz and spit when played up close and brushed cymbals can sound incredibly mellow and 'tuneful' if played right (Alan Ganley, who accompanied many a jazz singer, was a master at this style).
Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way...The time has gone, The song is over, Thought I'd something more to say...

Andrew
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by Andrew »

They should hold their value very well. If anything, I'd expect for them to rise over time. All the other small speakers of that kill and era have. They were FAR more expensive than kan set so, so they are great value. Boxed ones should also fetch a bit more because they are a devil to pack due to the protruding tweeters.

Edit: I hear what you're saying, Dave but everyone's ears are different. To mine, they are just plain dull. If they don't make music, what's the point? My point is, ears tend to vary greatly, so objective neutrality isn't necessarily important. There's also more to speakers than frequency response. BBC designs completely screw up timing for me.
Last edited by Andrew on Sun May 25, 2014 1:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

southall-1998
Wales

I have to admit that I enjoyed listening to Cornershop's '''Candyman''' through the Petite III speakers. Soooooo tight and expressive !!!!

S.
Shane Lonergan.

southall-1998
Wales

Andrew wrote:They should hold their value very well. If anything, I'd expect for them to rise over time. All the other small speakers of that kill and era have. They were FAR more expensive than kan set so, so they are great value. Boxed ones should also fetch a bit more because they are a devil to pack due to the protruding tweeters.

Edit: I hear what you're saying, Dave but everyone's ears are different. To mine, they are just plain dull. If they don't make music, what's the point? My point is, ears tend to vary greatly, so objective neutrality isn't necessarily important. There's also more to speakers than frequency response. BBC designs completely screw up timing for me.
I heard Rogers Studio 1 speakers. I can only describe the sound as being ''cosy'', nothing more or less. They remind me of eating a sticky toffee pudding.

S.
Shane Lonergan.

Classicrock
Great Britain

Unread post by Classicrock »

southall-1998 wrote:
Andrew wrote:They should hold their value very well. If anything, I'd expect for them to rise over time. All the other small speakers of that kill and era have. They were FAR more expensive than kan set so, so they are great value. Boxed ones should also fetch a bit more because they are a devil to pack due to the protruding tweeters.

I heard Rogers Studio 1 speakers. I can only describe the sound as being ''cosy'', nothing more or less. They remind me of eating a sticky toffee pudding.

S.
Rogers and most of those old BBC designs were pretty lifeless. Hardly something that can be said about some modern BBC inspired designs such as Harbeth. Never much liked the Neat but certainly a better speaker than a Linn Kan. I think having to spend on very powerful (and expensive) amps to drive a small speaker is a bad way of apportioning system expenditure.
I Know What I like (In Your Wardrobe)