Sugden.

Post any interesting items from ebay here...
Forum rules
1. No ad-hominem
2. No spamming or shilling
southall-1998
Wales

Sugden.

Unread post by southall-1998 »

Shane Lonergan.

_D_S_J_R_
Wales

Re: Sugden.

Unread post by _D_S_J_R_ »

I think the upper models are more 'correct,' but the cheaper models are a soggy as a cold rice pudding and somewhat veiled with it too, as if you've taken a classic Spendor BC1 and draped a blanket over it (there, that should give the Doc some more nightmares :)). Real life and other really good amps, whatever's inside, just don't sound like this and the average pre-current Naim is the polar opposite!
Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way...The time has gone, The song is over, Thought I'd something more to say...

Classicrock
Great Britain

Unread post by Classicrock »

That is worth watching and could be a serious bargain. Contrary to Dave's comments when I have heard this model at shows in the 90s it sounded surprisingly detailed and far from warm and soggy. Some prefer it to the current slightly more powerful version. Given the lack of use and condition is as advertised well worth a punt. Don't use with insensitive speakers.
I Know What I like (In Your Wardrobe)

southall-1998
Wales

Unread post by southall-1998 »

Classicrock wrote:That is worth watching and could be a serious bargain. Contrary to Dave's comments when I have heard this model at shows in the 90s it sounded surprisingly detailed and far from warm and soggy. Some prefer it to the current slightly more powerful version. Given the lack of use and condition is as advertised well worth a punt. Don't use with insensitive speakers.
When you say ''insensitive'', how low are we talking??

S.
Shane Lonergan.

Classicrock
Great Britain

Unread post by Classicrock »

southall-1998 wrote:
Classicrock wrote:That is worth watching and could be a serious bargain. Contrary to Dave's comments when I have heard this model at shows in the 90s it sounded surprisingly detailed and far from warm and soggy. Some prefer it to the current slightly more powerful version. Given the lack of use and condition is as advertised well worth a punt. Don't use with insensitive speakers.
When you say ''insensitive'', how low are we talking?? S.
It depends on how close to speakers how loud and maybe other design aspects that make a difficult load. Not much less than 90 db/watt.
I Know What I like (In Your Wardrobe)

CageyH-FX1200
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by CageyH-FX1200 »

So 87db/w isn't great then.

Daniel Quinn

Unread post by Daniel Quinn »

That is on the low side of commercially available loudspeakers.

jimbob
Great Britain

Unread post by jimbob »

I remember hearing an A21a S2 (I think) a few years ago when I was demoing a pair of Monitor Audio RX6 and I thought it sounded very nice indeed. Plenty loud enough too in the demo room.
Squeezebox Touch - Cambridge Audio Azur (pre) - Mycetias 250A Power Amp - Mycetias V2 Speakers

_D_S_J_R_
Wales

Unread post by _D_S_J_R_ »

The RX6's are almost certainly harsh at crossover as most MA's seem to be. Modern issue lower Sugdens are soft with a lazy treble performance I maintain. The combo may have sounded nice, but two wrongs don't make a right. I still think an AP10 would annihilate it unless the speakers need some sort of masking - IMO!
Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way...The time has gone, The song is over, Thought I'd something more to say...