New Airedale Classic at 'bargain' price.

Post any interesting items from ebay here...
Forum rules
1. No ad-hominem
2. No spamming or shilling
Classicrock
Great Britain

New Airedale Classic at 'bargain' price.

Unread post by Classicrock »

Dave Cawley has a pair of these Chinese built Wharfedales that are said to be an alternative to the Tannoy Westminster. Maybe a bargain if you have deep enough pockets as they retail at £24K. Design by Peter Comeau.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Wharfedale-Ai ... 8362&rt=nc
I Know What I like (In Your Wardrobe)

Daniel Quinn

Re: New Airedale Classic at 'bargain' price.

Unread post by Daniel Quinn »

you can make an offer .

Dave , I will offer you £500 and then I will do the doc mods on them . They worked on my other peter comeau designed wharfedales , which I now use for the tv in the family room . But those (diamond 10.3] need urgently fixing to the wall cause baby DQ keeps playing with them , i dont think he could knock over those airdales though . ;)

That is some loss of value over 2 years !!

Daniel Quinn

It just occurred to my wharfedales are floorstanders and are top heavy because of the doc mods , I will be fixing them to the wall this weekend , we dont want any headlines
that say

"Doc mods kill baby DQ" :lol:
Last edited by Daniel Quinn on Thu Feb 26, 2015 5:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dr Bunsen Honeydew
Has thanked: 0

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

Doing a Tannoy :roll:

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Daniel Quinn wrote:It just occurred to my wharfedales are floorstanders and are top heavy because of the doc mods , I will be fixing them to the wall this weekend , we dont one any headlines
that say

"Doc mods kill baby DQ" :lol:
Far more likely to be the headline - "Baby DQ kills Doc Mods" :lol:

jammy395
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by jammy395 »

If that kind of dosh is no object, then they probably are a bargain........ :shifty:

istari_knight

Unread post by istari_knight »

Classicrock wrote:Design by Peter Comeau.
Where did he work before Wharfedale/Quad ? Surely he's designed one good speaker at some point in his career ?!

Daniel Quinn

According to rfc on AoS peter is frustrated cause commercial compromises mean he deosnt have the freedom to design speakers without compromise unlike him.

Not sure how this works for a 24k speaker made on China. :lol:

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Peter Comeau: I began my career in hi-fi by selling it in the, then, hallowed audiophile mecca of Tottenham Court Road, London, which was, I may say, an excellent grounding in finding out what people want from their hi-fi systems. I moved fairly quickly into writing for hi-fi magazines as a reviewer and then, realising that there was a gap in the market for a small, low cost monitor-class loudspeaker, tried my hand at speaker design. Two years of experimenting yielded a loudspeaker that my friend and I were satisfied to use in our own homes and we jointly started Heybrook Hi-Fi.

I ran Heybrook for 15 years and then sold it just as business was getting overly tough, to go back once again to reviewing. I also did a spot of consulting for NXT, the flat panel speaker company, and that led me to join Mission in 1999 as Director of Acoustic Design.

As you’re now aware, IAG purchased Mission and, eventually, I took up the same job in China, only this time working with all the brands that IAG own.

istari_knight

Unread post by istari_knight »

Thanks Doc, I quite liked the Heybrook HB1/HB2/HB3 range so he's not without past glories.

I suppose its all about profit for for a company like IAG so you just get lots of perceived value but little substance... Pretty curved cabinets/jewellery binding posts/expensive looking drivers & glossy brochures that bang on about heritage :roll:

IIRC they have also bought Castle Acoustics now too.