Another Goodmans Magnum project

A place for DIY project discussions.
Dr Bunsen Honeydew
Has thanked: 0

Re: Another Goodmans Magnum project

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

For the midrange capacitor try a range between 30 and 60 mfd. Go for cheapish ones to find the value you want and then get good one.

Toontrev

Unread post by Toontrev »

Thanks again.
Looks like I can get what I need from the local Maplins. Will report back when its all ready & fitted.

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

All free help, compare that with what it would cost you to go to RFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFC, and you wouldn't have the level of music.

I do have a motive apart from showing people like him up, and that is for there to be speakers out there that will show the quality of other nva products. Often people with shit speakers that are not capable of showing subtle differences in the rest of the system hold back potential users from understanding and knowing what nva does.

Toontrev

I've made some progress this week, one cabinet is now ready for a first listen and the other is waiting for a mid unit capacitor. Maplins only had one in stock at the time, its on its way today I hope.
The tweeter cap is much larger than anticipated so I glued and tied it to a wood block and stuck it near to the tweeter. The idea was to keep the wires separated using some masking tape. Looked OK before the rear panel went on , its looks worse on the pic than it actually is but its tricky keeping the cables as short as possible. Seems to be fairy airtight when bolted up, with light finger pressure, there is a fair amount of resistance to move the bass driver inwards.

I will start to sort the cabinets out shortly, new grille covers required and a bit more work on the finsh. The Plasticoat makes the cones look almost new.

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

I would spray that whole baffle plate with a coat of Plastidip, it will look nicer. As long as you mask the finished wood it doesn't matter if there is spray drift on to the drivers.

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Just noted from the picture that you are using an electrolytic capacitor for the tweeter, not a good idea. Should be a film type, preferably polystyrene, oil and paper, or at worst Polypropylene.

jayman67
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by jayman67 »

why are you so against using electrolytics doc? ive always changed like for like when re-capping speakers,the 1 time i did use polys it made the speakers sound worse.
Yamaha NS1000M speakers,Pioneer PLC-590 turntable,,Alphason HR-100S-MCS/Zeta tonearms,Denon 103sa cartridge ,Sony 700ES Amp,Sony X555ES CD Player, Nakamichi ca5 pre amp.

Toontrev

This is the capacitor I fitted to the tweets

Maplins supply at 6.99
LCR Audio-Grade Polypropylene Axial 630V 3.3uF Capacitor

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Odd I am going by the photo. Electrolytics are directional (polar) unless two are encapsulated together, neither are a good idea in this job. They are used in crossovers because they are cheap, but really they shouldn't be used in high quality filter circuits with signal, only in the power circuits.

A polar Electrolytic capacitor is your basic type. They are cheap, but do not pass high frequencies well. Film capacitors are more expensive, but they are better for audio because they work better at the high frequencies, and have less inductance and resistance. Metalised Polypropylene and polystyrene capacitors are the best, but are also much more expensive.

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

I am daft :roll: looked at the pic again the electrolytic is on the midrange driver. Still should be a film cap.