Dynaco A25

A place for DIY project discussions.
Andrew
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Dynaco A25

Unread post by Andrew »

Actually, it pretty embarrassing, but I've "owned" these for a while and have never even set eyes on them until last night. A mate picked them up for me a while ago because I dont drive. I bought them to go with my Krell and ARC, but he had them too, so I just thought "what the heck" and told him to keep the Apogees too. By the way, the NVAs are light years ahead of the Krell/ARC combo.

As for the Apogees? Ugly buggers and ( so far at least) a bit useless, so no name dropping intended. The Spicas completely leave them for dead. Oh and they are scruffy too, so I will be spending most of the day cleaning them once I work out how to remove the grilles. I'm probably going to be on the next episode of "Hoarders" if I don't shift some stuff. It's all fun though.

Daniel Quinn

Unread post by Daniel Quinn »

gun metal green/grey always was a strange choice of colour :D

They were another speaker I lusted after as a spotty teen thanks to the mags , happy to hear there not much cop . What with you and Zebbo saying the cubes are giving his logans a run for their money even though its early days, I think my desire for electrostatics is being vicariously sated . :D

Andrew

Unread post by Andrew »

My mate (who had all my gear) has just sold his Logan's. Sequel IIs. I didn't like them at all and he much preferred the Apogees. They might sound different in a cavernous room, but his room is probably at least 20 x15 and they were just completely out of sorts. Bass all over and no treble to speak of. Everything just collapsed and dull.

Just like you, I saw all the Americana and literally lusted after it when I was younger. I still love the designs aesthetically though. American separates have been a mixed bag to my ears, just like our own home grown stuff, I guess. I tend to see Americam stuff now in the same way I see their "muscle cars". Iconic designs, but not always practical for our roads (rooms). Plenty of power but not always directed towards dexterity and good handling. Still fun though, at second hand prices. So glad I didn't have the dosh to end up a victim back in the day :D

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

This time as a victim of Absolute Sounds and the Wimbledon Womble himself.

Andrew

Unread post by Andrew »

"Womble" :D

Now if I'd heard that bak in the day it would've shattered the myth in a single word. Isn't it funny how we long for the expensive and unattainable Americana, yet they do the same for our kit. I guess it's "the grass on the other side" all over again. It certainly ain't greener than NVA :mrgreen:

Daniel Quinn

Unread post by Daniel Quinn »

Wimbledon womble is that KK ?

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

gus3049

Unread post by gus3049 »

Aha, Absolute Bollocks!

I used to live near Wimbledon. I wandered into their shop one day during a demo of a huge and presumably hugely expensive system. Krell amps and gigantic Wilson Watt speakers.

Everyone else was going 'wow' and I wasn't. I though it was worse than the average cinema system from our friends at Bose. Screetching treble, thumping boomy bass and about as musical as a punk rocker. I walked out after ten minutes or so as I just couldn't stand any more. If they really think that is hi-fi, then hi-fi and music are definitely two different things.

OK, I listen to valves (sorry Richard) and Esl57's which may not be the liveliest combo on earth but manage to sound exactly like the guitars I make and the piano I play. I have no other yardstick to go by. Just 'cos its impressive, doesn't mean its right.

jammy395

Unread post by jammy395 »

Dr Bunsen Honeydew wrote:Ricardo.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=psNblB93YiM
Strange Speaker cable's he is using they seem to be wrapped in "Xmas tree lights" Anyone else out there tried this tweek - Any good........... :dance: :whistle: