Dynaco A25

A place for DIY project discussions.
jammy395
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Dynaco A25

Unread post by jammy395 »

Would love to know yer thoughts on your Spica 50s.....Strange design but VG by all accounts.....Now they would be nice done up..... :shifty:
Another kind of odd shape you would have to learn to live with. :think:

Ooops ya may want to start a Spica thread - As this is Dynaco A25 territory.

Andrew

Unread post by Andrew »

I'm hoping sometime to maybe drag the NVAs and Spicas to one of those bake-offs or get- togethers in the a north East but I will need a mate of mine to help because I don't drive. I'm away for the next one, but hey happen quite regularly.

I'm not sure what I could do to smarten up the Spicas because they are pretty much unmarked. Boring black ash sides though, so I guess I could re-veneer them. They look fine with grilles on and the grilles are perfect but I can't abide speaker grilles. Why pay money for clarity only to smother it in cloth, I say :D

If you ever venture this far south (first time I've said that about Newcastle in ages) you'd be very welcome to have a listen. You'd have to put up with a belt drive TT though.......... And then there are those wires :o

Andrew

Unread post by Andrew »

Well I'm not sure they are a DIY project in electronics terms because I didnt mod them after all. However, I did finish the Dynacos in all other DIY aspects. some pics for completeness:

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

Excellent job, preserving some hi-fi heritage.

gus3049

Unread post by gus3049 »

Really nice finish on those. Its good to see some of these old speakers bought back to life. I heard a pair of these once and thought they were pretty good.

Daniel Quinn

Unread post by Daniel Quinn »

Praise indeed Andrew, it seems Gus may know a thing or two about wood :D

Andrew

Unread post by Andrew »

Gee thanks, guys. I'm a real bodger at all things DIY but I don't mind re-doing something until its acceptable. The finish is just "Wilkinsons" Danish oil, applied in several coats. I sanded them right back first. Thankfully older veneers are thicker than today.

The black paint on the baffles is just Halfords standard matt. I masked evetything off first. Grille fabric and badges were off EBay. Badges were from a nice guy in Canada. The hardest bit to find was the criss-cross stuff that goes over the vent. It was broken on one peaker, which you can see in the early pics. I eventually found something suitable in Aldi of all places. It's a plastic grid thingy you put your scones on to cool.

I've got some spare if Jammy wants to make a gift of it to Shona :lol:

jammy395

Unread post by jammy395 »

Nice one indeed Andrew - yev breathed some new life back into them.......... 8-) :clap: :clap: :clap:

Andrew

Unread post by Andrew »

Cheers, Jammy :D

The Dynacos just have a great sound to them. Definitely a touch of magic to them that lifts them miles above the pack. If I hadn't stumbled on the Spicas so soon after getting the Dynacos, I'd still be using them and loving it. I got my Apogess back from my mate last night and its reminded me how special both the Dynacos and Spicas are. I'd swear there's a little " one man band" trapped inside each Spica :shock: :D

Daniel Quinn

Unread post by Daniel Quinn »

Andrew , you make me smile - casually slipped in to the conversation with no fuss , preamble or fanfare .

"I got my apogees back from my mate last nite" :lol: