Sony PS-X7

A place for DIY project discussions.
terrybooth
Great Britain

Sony PS-X7

Unread post by terrybooth »

I appear to have become possessed by collectomania. I now have a Sony PS-X7 turntable. But it only seems to play the right channel. I've tried two carts, so I think the problem must be in the cabling. The external cables don't have a great quality feel to them: the RCAs are corroded and loose, but it may also be the arm cabling.

The one channel seems to show promise, so it may be worth an effort. But how to procede?

Advice and opinions please.
Pioneer PL71/DL103/ Phono2/HiFiPi/P90SA/TIS/CubixPro

Dr Bunsen Honeydew
Has thanked: 0

Re: Sony PS-X7

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

You need a multimeter, set to ohms or continuity, take the base off the turntable disconnect arm leads (probably a tag strip) and check continuity to headshell leads, then check continuity other way to plugs - repair as needed.

terrybooth
Great Britain

OK. Multimeter I have. Vinyl Engine can provide some info which will help I think.

The leads from the turntable don't look triffic, I'm wondering whether I should be thinking of replacing them with something like soundcord?

Have you heard this TT? Worth the effort or should I cut my losses?

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Not heard it, if it is direct drive and weighs a lot it will be good, if belt drive it will warble :mrgreen: and if DD but light and plasticy it will be crap. SC makes good TT leads.

terrybooth
Great Britain

Direct drive and similar in weight to the PL71. So the basic turntable seems to fit the bill. Carbon fibre tone arm and automatic operation totally new to me.
http://www.thevintageknob.org/sony-PS-X7.html
I think my first step will be to replace the RCA plugs and check lubrication.

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Vintage knob says the arm is the weak link but apart from that the turntable excellent - looks like you got a bargain.

terrybooth
Great Britain

We'll see. I've found the problem - a broken connection in the RCA socket.

The RCAs are 'tin' and corroded. So I think it sensible to replace them. What's a decent replacement - Neutrik? Gold? or will Nickel do?

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

You can spend really silly money on phono plugs if you want to - I don't want to :mrgreen:

Gold doesn't tarnish so is always a good idea in the long run but it is plug construction, quality of dielectric (which no one seems to mention) that is more important.

Best price is go to a proper distributor, not a hi-fi rip-off merchant - Farnell is a good choice - this link will give you an idea of the choice available to you http://uk.farnell.com/jsp/search/browse ... 1%2B215345

terrybooth
Great Britain

Dr Bunsen Honeydew wrote:You can spend really silly money on phono plugs if you want to - I don't want to :mrgreen:

Gold doesn't tarnish so is always a good idea in the long run but it is plug construction, quality of dielectric (which no one seems to mention) that is more important.

Best price is go to a proper distributor, not a hi-fi rip-off merchant - Farnell is a good choice - this link will give you an idea of the choice available to you http://uk.farnell.com/jsp/search/browse ... 1%2B215345
If I wanted to pay through the nose for RCA plugs, I know where to go and it isn't very far from where I am. :D

But, back in the real world - I'm assuming that the metal in most (if not all) of these is brass, with some sort of plating but the dielectric bit? What are the choices? And, when it comes to assembly (stripping back wire, using or not using the physical clamp, soldering) are there better and worse things to do (leave aside soldering - that's a subject in itself)?

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Air is the best dielectric, and that is free :mrgreen:

So polymer foams are best but easier to damage. I really should have mentioned it, just pay the money you want to and get plugs. We are working at audio frequencies so no where near as import at RF. Just jump in and don't worry - go for the one you like the look and price of.