Sony speaker project

A place for DIY project discussions.
floydfan

Re: Sony speaker project

Unread post by floydfan »

Hi Richard

Got the Sony speakers running with only a small amount of doping and the sound was very detailed and clean and made my Kefs sound muddy. The bass is a bit light and mid still a bit prominent.
But I came up against a problem; when I was trying to decide if I needed a resistor or more dope I turned off the A 60 to listen to what was coming through the tweeter and there was nothing coming through the left channel. I swapped over the speakers and the same side was dead. I tried the A30 with another set of speakers with the jumper connected at the speaker and same side dead.
I must say I did not notice any big difference when listening over the last few days and I was very careful when modifying the Sony speakers. It is possible that this problem has been with me since I bi-amped my speakers, as the A30 was good before this.
Ps I am listening to Adele with the A60 and she sounds fantastic.
Cheers

Daniel Quinn

Unread post by Daniel Quinn »

floydfan wrote:Hi Richard

Got the Sony speakers running with only a small amount of doping and the sound was very detailed and clean and made my Kefs sound muddy. The bass is a bit light and mid still a bit prominent.
But I came up against a problem; when I was trying to decide if I needed a resistor or more dope I turned off the A 60 to listen to what was coming through the tweeter and there was nothing coming through the left channel. I swapped over the speakers and the same side was dead. I tried the A30 with another set of speakers with the jumper connected at the speaker and same side dead.
I must say I did not notice any big difference when listening over the last few days and I was very careful when modifying the Sony speakers. It is possible that this problem has been with me since I bi-amped my speakers, as the A30 was good before this.
Cheers
That sounds like the magic of the Honeydew mods . :mrgreen:

Dr Bunsen Honeydew
Has thanked: 0

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

floydfan wrote:Hi Richard

Cheers
Not sure I understand are you saying one of the amps is down on one channel?

floydfan

Hi Richard

Sorry if I was not very clear. Yes it appears that the A30 is down in one channel. I am not sure if there is another explanation but I will explore further. I still have to check all the leads as I have not noticed anything over the months I have been listening. It is probably something simple, probably a connector coming loose or something like that. I will get back to you when I have spent some time on my set-up.

floydfan

Hi Daniel
Indeed a honeydew mod. Good fun but still working on getting it right.

Richard I have added a bit more dope and will do some more listening. I think if I move the speakers nearer the wall this will improve the bass.
The reason for one channel being down was, I think, a bent speaker plug. I straightened it out and it's working again. I hope I haven't damaged the cable too much. All the speaker changing , even when I am careful I am still heavy handed, will have bent the plug. I have LS2 cables and do try to be careful with them.
Cheers

Dr Bunsen Honeydew
Has thanked: 0

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

Thats good. The beauty of all this is that it is pure fun if a little hard work and a learning curve. As you can see even what we think of as ordinary old cheap commercial speakers like Sony can be tweaked way beyond their accepted musical ability. AND with speakers like this, unfashionable two ways going for peanuts at ebay much fun can be had for little to no money. But DON'T get trapped into the audiophile component bullshit of hundreds of pounds capacitors etc - it is just the usual bullshit to line certain people pockets and has no bearing on reality.

The other benefit is that it is a very good ear / music trainer, you can discover how to select product musically from just tweaking and listening (to music not the bullshit). I think everyone should have a go at this and discover another area of this hobby that is great fun for next to nothing.

floydfan

Hi All

Update-- I have been away from my speaker project as I have been playing with my new A80s.
I fitted a 5 ohm resistor to the tweeter and it seems much more balanced. The bass is precise but a little weak maybe the speaker cabinet is a bit small or maybe needs more dope any way the sound is still engaging.
I think I may team these up with my A30 and squeezebox releasing a pair of missions, which are on the squeezebox at the moment, which are a much bigger pair of speakers and should give a bit more bass.