Modifying 3 way speakers

A place for DIY project discussions.
floydfan

Modifying 3 way speakers

Unread post by floydfan »

I have modified a cheap 2 way speaker with steel plate etc. and wondered if it was possible to do similar with a 3 way speaker. I understand the principles of improving the 2 way speaker but I am not sure how you would treat the mid driver.

Dr Bunsen Honeydew
Has thanked: 0

Re: Modifying 3 way speakers

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

Exactly the same leaving both the bass and mid driver in parallel or series with each other (I would choose series) so both handling full range and again dope the cones to cut out HF. And a single cap on the tweeter with a padding resistor.

floydfan

Unread post by floydfan »

Thanks for that. From what you said could I tri-amp with my 3 NVA amps? Maybe get a cheap 3way, possibly Wharfedale linton, as they seem cheap on ebay and give it the treatment.

Dr Bunsen Honeydew
Has thanked: 0

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

No because by series-ing the drivers you make them as one so it would in those terms be a two way. To be three way you have to separate the two driver and run them as individuals.

Daniel Quinn

Unread post by Daniel Quinn »

I series wired with my previous speakers in previous home and it was better . More musical and the rhythm of the music was just more natural . This was the first doc mod that I tired as it was the easiest , the fact it worked moved me on the next .