Goodmans Magnum k Refurb and modification (part 1)

A place for DIY project discussions.
Tim Catt
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Goodmans Magnum k Refurb and modification (part 1)

Unread post by Tim Catt »

Dr Bunsen Honeydew wrote:Should have caused the opposite, an increase in treble. Check the tweeter is working, they fail pretty often on this model.
Now this has got the old grey matter firing! I have been able to successfully check that the tweeter is working by using the adjustable pot at the rear of the speaker so I know its definitely not blown, however I haven't visually inspected the drivers on the other speaker as the grille on this model is bolted on from the inside and I just haven't bothered to open as yet. It may well be possible that either mid or tweeter or both have been replaced with non original parts at some point?! The plot thickens....
Last edited by Tim Catt on Tue Nov 19, 2013 12:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

This is what the drivers should look like

Tim Catt

Dr Bunsen Honeydew wrote:This is what the drivers should look like

I think they are the k2 model Doc.

mine look like this

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Sorry forgot it was Ks and not K2s you were doing.

There is a pic of the K here so it looks like you have original drivers http://forum.vintage-audio-laser.com/ve ... t9284.html

Tim Catt

Cheers Doc, I have still to check the speaker that my ears think is louder and will have to do this tonight when I get home from work. The speaker that has steel plate mod and appears quieter definitely has original drivers.

If, when I inspect the drivers tonight I find they are original k1 units, I will extend my diagnosis to swapping the channels on my amp and then replacing caps which is on my list of jobs anyway.

Doc, any other avenues that you would be inclined to try possibly before recapping?

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Rewiring and soldering all the connections will help as cable that old will have oxidised.

Tim Catt

Dr Bunsen Honeydew wrote:Rewiring and soldering all the connections will help as cable that old will have oxidised.
Sounds spot on! sorry to labour the point but do you mean all cables including the wire from xover to drivers and if so would I be able to use average speaker wire for that? Also I have some coloured solid core cable which I intend to use between the xover components. Its cheap and shit to fair but its all I've got. Is there any decent wire for this purpose hiding in say Ethernet cables etc? I know I'm going out on a limb here but being skint and getting a kick out of recycling makes my creative side kick in....

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

The wire the Goodmans used was cheap basic thin stuff so just about anything modern will be better.

Tim Catt

I was hoping you would say that.. Cheers Doc!

Ronin

Unread post by Ronin »

Tim Catt wrote:Cheers for the input chaps! Ive removed all other damping material which was foam. Is it possible that the flat(er) frequency response of the steel mod speaker just seems less bright compared to its less rigid counterpart and therefore giving an illusion of less volume when panning left to right?
Dr Bunsen Honeydew wrote:Should have caused the opposite, an increase in treble. Check the tweeter is working, they fail pretty often on this model.
I agree with doc,treble is brighter with stuffing removed from my Ks,would it have anything to do with the cabinet construction.I see mine are different,I think the pair that you've got are chipwood were mine are plywood ?

Interesting to know that someone else has these beauties and are willing to share their experiences :handgestures-thumbupright: I've been living with mine without the stuffing for a while now,I may take the plunge and steel line them next and also re-wire them( I'll share my finding when I do).For the crossover I've changed the wire to DNM.

What I would love to do is to completely remove the adjustable pots, I really feel they are detrimental to the sound quality.

The big plus for me is the speed and accuracy from these speakers ,bass is so good even with my suspended belt drive turntable ( Direct drive is even better) Violin s & Cellos sound so much more lifelike than my previous Mordaunt shorts .

All the best with your project ;)