Goodmans Magnum K2

A place for DIY project discussions.
jimbob
Great Britain

Re: Goodmans Magnum K2

Unread post by jimbob »

I feel you pain! It seems in our house that having a nice garden for the summer is more important than hifi upgrades??? No idea how Vicky has come to that conclusion. Im not surprised the Zingali's get the thumbs up, they are a work of art. I agree regarding NVA, I have no desire to look elsewhere, only move up the ladder.
Squeezebox Touch - Cambridge Audio Azur (pre) - Mycetias 250A Power Amp - Mycetias V2 Speakers

jammy395
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by jammy395 »

Its boring as fuk....You jump on board the NVA express and you kiss goodbye to the box swapping of yore....... :cry:
But it open's your eye's to the rip off bullshit that you have succumbed to in the past.
I can see why Doc (If not hated) is despised through out the hifi industry as it stands today....Their Slurp is diminishing, the scum have thrived off the sheep for years - but Doc and others have shown there is another way.
"Most refreshing my dear Watson" - "Alas poor Yorick, he was a good friend of mine - but could be a pure bastard at times".

:guiness; :epop:

jimbob
Great Britain

Unread post by jimbob »

Just a quick update which I meant to post last week. The Magnum K cabinets have been sanded down and in my opinion now look pretty smart and presentable. Not all the scratches have come out but at least now the deeper ones blend in and are not particularly noticeable. Next job is to darken slightly with Danish oil then bees wax. Once done the backs will be coming off and the crossovers will be getting fettled. :grin:
Squeezebox Touch - Cambridge Audio Azur (pre) - Mycetias 250A Power Amp - Mycetias V2 Speakers

_D_S_J_R_
Wales

Unread post by _D_S_J_R_ »

I just wanted to slip this in here. Have a look out for Beoxox 3800 speakers, which I believe are sort-of related to Goodwoods and may even have the same bass and mid drivers. The cabs were beautifully crafted and simple in style and all 'Beopeople' with an interest in the brand's old gear (some of which was very good indeed!) are quite happy to upgrade the original crossovers without a second's thought :) A couple of years ago, you couldn't give the beggars away, but the prices are waking up a bit.

The other one is the 5700 series speakers, which look to me like Ditton 66's in shorter, low-stand boxes. These do fetch good money though, as do their donor Celestions.

Just thought I'd stick it in here ;)
Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way...The time has gone, The song is over, Thought I'd something more to say...

jimbob
Great Britain

Unread post by jimbob »

Hi DSJR I have looked at the Beoxox speakers a few times as many of them look really nice. If I had the room for more speakers I would buy a pair to try, however, once I have these Magnum K's sorted I will be saving for a pair of Cubes I think. Like I said if I had the room and the money I would love to try lots of old speakers!