PL71 kit

A place for DIY project discussions.
floydfan

Re: PL71 kit

Unread post by floydfan »

Got a Denon 103 and will set up this weekend, shopping permitting, but I have one question some of you may help me with. The arm at the moment is not quite parallel with the disc when playing and it is not possible to lower the height of the Rega arm to correct this as I have used spacers to get it clear of the raised lip on the deck to allow the arm to adopt the correct position.
Anyway I intend to increase the thickness of the mat but any ideas on which materialI I should use to make one. I have searched on ebay but they are too large. I need 28 cm and they all seem to be over 29cm.
I would be grateful for any suggestions as to material, method or any other brainy idea to solve my problem.

Dr Bunsen Honeydew
Has thanked: 0

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

Contact Anglia Plastics and get a disc made of black acrylic to the thickness you need. They do 3mm or 5mm. Put this under the rubber mat. They will also do your lid for you.

Anglia Plastics Ltd, 13 Albone Way, Biggleswade, Bedfordshire SG18 8BN
Phone:01767 310327

floydfan

Been doing some measuring and to bring the tonearm up to the correct level would need a 10mm mat and there is not enough space on the spindle to allow this. I could remove the spacer I put in to bring the arm lift arrangement up to clear the lip on the deck and twist the pillar to allow it to sink into the well into which the original arm was situated but this brings the tube way over to almost above the speed controls. This looks really naff.
I have been reading a lot on the importance of vta but Mr Gandy of Rega insists that much of this is nonsense and says the cartridge should be tail down, which mine is not.
I have listened to a few records and noticed, on the first listen, a big improvement over my cheap mm cartridge and been wondering if I just added a mat as thick as the spindle allowed and continued playing with the arm at an incorrect angle would I damage either the tip or my records.

Any comments and/or advice would be welcome.

Dr Bunsen Honeydew
Has thanked: 0

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

You wont damage anything,

floydfan

Thanks Richard. Listening to the new Floyd LP, got it for my birthday, and this is my first listen. Sounds fantastic.

Progmeister
Great Britain

Unread post by Progmeister »

_D_S_J_R_ wrote:One of my major life-epiphanies was when, as a totally naïve 17 year old, I first heard Tee Dee's 'Phaedra.' I've played it hundreds of times since and STILL get shivery goosebumps when the title track starts. The set of six CD's or so has all the Virgin recordings from Phaedra to Hyperborea - all good in their individual way. This is well worth getting in addition to the Edgar Froese set.

Before I bore everyone else even more than usual, the remastered Atem is incredible. No doubt subtly 'enhanced' by their mastering system, I find that, rather than stand in the control-room entrance as I seem to do with the original, I can now sit at the mixing desk, so much more vivid is the sound - to me anyway :)

Sorry all, I've been one of 'those obliged to space' since the original Delia Derbishire Doctor Who theme impinged itself into my very essence :) Reproducing big Moog synths well is something important to me, especially when the speakers I use don't really help the situation...
Oh yes. A big +1 with regards to Pheadra. I am always amazed that critics don't seem to recognize it's importance and for that matter Tangerine Dream per se. I recently watched a documentary about Kraftwerk and how important they were in the advent of electronic music and for the best part agree with their findings. However TD's early soundscapes really raised the bar in my opinion and not celebrated anywhere near as much as they should be. I also have in common with you the need for any system i put together to convey the sound of a Moog properly. I find vintage hi-fi so much better than hi end hi-fi for doing this. As far as TD on CD is concerned Tornado still remains one of my faves. :grin:
People turn to poison quick as lager turns to piss,,,J.C. Clarke.

Sandman
EUROPEAN_UNION

Unread post by Sandman »

Dr Bunsen Honeydew wrote:Contact Anglia Plastics and get a disc made of black acrylic to the thickness you need. They do 3mm or 5mm. Put this under the rubber mat. They will also do your lid for you.

Anglia Plastics Ltd, 13 Albone Way, Biggleswade, Bedfordshire SG18 8BN
Phone:01767 310327
Big hand to these guys, built a lid for my Lenco which is just perfect, very helpful and quick too.
Turntable Double platter Lenco GL75 re-plinthed / Hadcock GH242SE Copper / NVA SC cable Cartridges Decca London Blue & Gold Phono NVA Phono2 2x PSU CD Audiolab 6000CDT > Teac UD-H01 Streamer Bluesound Node2 > Teac UD-H01 Pre NVA P90SA Power (Tweeters) NVA A30 Power (Mid/Bass) NVA Forum LE mono Interconnects NVA SSP Speaker Cable (Tweeter) NVA LS5 Speaker Cable (Mid/Bass) NVA LS6 Speakers NVA Cube2 Mains NVA BMU