PL71 kit

A place for DIY project discussions.
floydfan

PL71 kit

Unread post by floydfan »

Hi All

I have just acquired a kit to build a Pl71 turntable and have used the vinyl engine schematic and a few posts on AoS to get my head round the connections. I was stumped for a few days working out the connections around the on/off microswitches and speed pots. There were two versions, one with two microswitches and one with three microswitches. I thought I had a 3 switch one with one of the switches missing and tried for days to work out the logical wiring connections( ps I am not too good with electronics) but I now think I have a 2 switch system with one being power on/off and the other toggleing between 33 and 45. I will think a bit more before getting the soldering iron out.
I have put this post in for the interest/amusement of the Forum but I do have one question which someone may help me with. The original set up of the deck was, I think, with twin core mains cable but there is a metal bottom, should I put in a 3 core cable and earth to a screw in the metal.
I will give updates but they may be slow in coming as I am trying to do a good job with this deck and I can be a bit hamfisted.

floydfan

Re: PL71 kit

For anyone interested I have just finished assembling the PL71 and am listening to Neil Young Unplugged and it sounds good.
I am just testing at the moment and running the TT with a JVC Z1 cartridge through a Cambridge Audio amp and am using a pair of " Doc mod"" Sony speakers and have not set up the cartridge accurately but it still sounds impressive.
Next I will put the TT into my NVA set-up, fettle the cartridge and run it till I can get a MC cart. possibly a Denon 103.
Ps I had forgotten how good the music centre speakers sound after the steel coat a crossover removal treatment, well worth the effort!

Dr Bunsen Honeydew
Has thanked: 0

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

Piccys please :epop:

floydfan

P1000312com.jpg
P1000312com.jpg (39.52 KiB) Viewed 5867 times
P1000313com.jpg
P1000313com.jpg (41.03 KiB) Viewed 5867 times
P1000314com.jpg
P1000314com.jpg (30.67 KiB) Viewed 5867 times
P1000315com.jpg
P1000315com.jpg (31.94 KiB) Viewed 5867 times
I have forgotten how I did photos before. Hope this works.

floydfan

Hi All

Have slotted the Pioneer into my NVA A80s using a JVC Z1 cartridge and it sounds really good especially with Tangerine Dream. I seems to make the music exciting somehow. More dynamic and powerful. I have also tried it out with some vocal stuff (Pavaroti and Connie Francis) sounds engaging. I am not good at "review speak " but it is so good I am minded to try a moving coil cartridge. There is an ex dem Phono 1 on ebay and I could partner this with a Denon 103- sounds like a plan.
On another point I have bought a dustcover but it lacks hinges, I would like to add a pair but can only see Technics or Rega hinges on ebay does anyone know if either of these would do or any other source of suitable hinges.
I am sure someone on here has come up with a brilliant solution!

Daniel Quinn

Unread post by Daniel Quinn »

Not sure about the technics ones , dont they require holes in the lid .

these http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Linn-LP12-Lid ... ies&hash=i are described as linn , but they should do as they grip the lid and dont require fixing to it.

floydfan

These might do but the dustcover is, I think, slightly too small as going right back it will give a slightly too big gap at the front. I may be a bit picky but I was trying to get an equal clear area round the dust cover. I envisaged drilling the lid and packing the hinge with a block of perspex to bring the dust cover forward but drilling could be fraught with danger and the no-drill solution may be better. I may get these and hope I will not be irritated by the asymmetric look.
Thanks for the idea.

_D_S_J_R_
Wales

Unread post by _D_S_J_R_ »

floydfan wrote:Hi All

Have slotted the Pioneer into my NVA A80s using a JVC Z1 cartridge and it sounds really good especially with Tangerine Dream. I seems to make the music exciting somehow. More dynamic and powerful. I have also tried it out with some vocal stuff (Pavaroti and Connie Francis) sounds engaging. I am not good at "review speak " but it is so good I am minded to try a moving coil cartridge. There is an ex dem Phono 1 on ebay and I could partner this with a Denon 103- sounds like a plan.
On another point I have bought a dustcover but it lacks hinges, I would like to add a pair but can only see Technics or Rega hinges on ebay does anyone know if either of these would do or any other source of suitable hinges.
I am sure someone on here has come up with a brilliant solution!
The Z1 was a bit 'toppy' as I remember (If I remember this as the CD-4 model, although maybe not as much in this digital age) and many of my old Tee Dee albums (Manor recordings/mixings) sound dull, even on CD. Marriage made in heaven there methinks.

P.S. Have you got the Edgar Froese Virgin Years CD set? Remastered by Denis Blackham (Skye Mastering and album cuts of 'Bilbo Boppa' fame) and it sounds great, especially 'NGC981,' which is clipped badly on vinyl and earlier CD issues..
Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way...The time has gone, The song is over, Thought I'd something more to say...

floydfan

Not got a lot of Tangerine dream; on CD - the essential collection and Tangerine Dream and on vinyl ricochet, flashpoint, streethawk (45) and atem /alpha centauri double album. I listened to the vinyl on a Hitachi turntable with a shure m75ed and can't say I found them dull. On cd also but the A80 is a good amp and I like most things through it.
Interesting though.
I haven't come across the cd set you mentioned I will put it on my Christmas list. I know it's a bit early but it would be good to get something I want.

_D_S_J_R_
Wales

Unread post by _D_S_J_R_ »

One of my major life-epiphanies was when, as a totally naïve 17 year old, I first heard Tee Dee's 'Phaedra.' I've played it hundreds of times since and STILL get shivery goosebumps when the title track starts. The set of six CD's or so has all the Virgin recordings from Phaedra to Hyperborea - all good in their individual way. This is well worth getting in addition to the Edgar Froese set.

Before I bore everyone else even more than usual, the remastered Atem is incredible. No doubt subtly 'enhanced' by their mastering system, I find that, rather than stand in the control-room entrance as I seem to do with the original, I can now sit at the mixing desk, so much more vivid is the sound - to me anyway :)

Sorry all, I've been one of 'those obliged to space' since the original Delia Derbishire Doctor Who theme impinged itself into my very essence :) Reproducing big Moog synths well is something important to me, especially when the speakers I use don't really help the situation...
Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way...The time has gone, The song is over, Thought I'd something more to say...