JPW ML710

A place for DIY project discussions.
istari_knight
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

JPW ML710

Unread post by istari_knight »

I've tried most of the old JPW speakers over the years, P1, AP2, AP3, Mini-Monitor & the Sonata... They all follow the same basic design principles, relatively decent quality drive units with minimalist crossovers all housed inside what can only be described as "no frills" cabinets. They're generally quite ugly & feel a bit cheap however they are musically satisfying in a way that many expensive designs completely miss and as a result are, to my mind budget classics.

I noticed some JPW floor standers locally that I'd not heard of before, the "ML710"... Dating from between 2000-2002 apparently. Anyway I put in a bid of £50 and promptly forgot about them until I received an email notification telling me I'd won them for £31 - Well chuffed :grin: Just picked them up & they're in mint condition, so far so good ! Currently connected to a Sony TA-F770ES & being given a right good spanking they really come to life with a proper amp behind them [original owner demoed them using an Argos Goodmans 5.1 "thing" :roll:] Initial listening is very promising indeed, they are well balanced [no particular part of the frequency spectrum stands out like a sore thumb] mids are a bit recessed/boxy & the treble turns cymbal crashes into dustbin lids - No, I'm being harsh its not that bad but there is room for improvement, which leads me onto why I bought these in the first place...

I'm also a long term admirer of old-skool Royd speakers with the steel lined cabinets & doped drivers, I've watched a few fellow members modding their speakers in the Akroyd style under RD's direction with great interest... I will confess that in the past I have been guilty of pooh-poohing some of the idea's such as completely removing BAF wadding & LF inductors however I'm now of a far more open mind and want to try it for myself, it seems far more fun to challenge accepted wisdom & learn in the process rather than mindlessly regurgitating what should or shouldn't be done. My intention is to modify these JPW's... Modify the bejeezus out of them :grin: On the to-do list:

Line the internal cabinet walls with steel plate.
Remove the BAF.
Play with the port, I'll probably seal it off making them infinite baffle but will try a long port like Royd did with the revelation series beforehand.
Convert the HF crossover to 1st order & remove the LF filter entirely :o
Dope the mid/bass drivers using the fine art of trial and error.
I may mod the tweeters, they look like standard Peerless D20TD so there are plenty of possibilities...
Rewire to make them "single wire" - None of this buy-wire BS.
Cant think of anything else but there's doubtless other stuff to be done.

I'll update here each step of the way [with pictures, naturally] but tonight... I listen :guiness;

Daniel Quinn

Re: JPW ML710

Unread post by Daniel Quinn »

If you going to go that far then i recommend you do not single wire and you hard write the speaker cable direct to the
drivers.obsessive but worth while. ;)

Fretless
Netherlands

Unread post by Fretless »

I'm taking the first tentative steps into speaker-modding and it's a fascinating learning process.
Will be following your adventures with interest.

Upstairs:
Vinyl
Pro-Ject 1.2 + Grado Sig Jr + Cambridge Alva Duo
DigiVolumio PC + Kiss DP-500 + Sabaj A20d
NVA: P50sa - Cube2 - SSP - LS6+ Sabaj A10a (x2)
Downstairs:
Vinyl
Logic DM101 + Syrinx LE1 + Grado Sig MCX
DigiDenafrips Ares II + Volumio PC + Cambridge CXC
NVA: P50 - BMU+ Aiyima A07 MAX (x2) + Arcam One
HP: HifiBerry Digi+ PRO + Sabaj A10d
Office:
Allo DigiOne SIG + SMSL M300se + Douk G4 (x2)
Mission 760 + Monolith THX AAA 887
Headphones: German Maestro, Monolith & AQ

wallace

Unread post by wallace »

The tweeters look to be the same as in my 310's which i really like and never annoy me which resulted in my metal lined mini monitors going into the attic.As for biwiring,if you take off the connector panel you might find they were shorted out when they made them like mine were.Nice price for you,i put £25 bid on mine and got them for £2.20. :dance: :grin: :grin: Have fun.
Revox B795,,NVA PHONO 1,Teac PD-H500C,Squeezebox Touch,Bushmaster MKII,NVA AP70,LS5,Royd Minstrels i/c's SSC's. .
Sony Laptop,E-Dac, NVA AP10P, LS3,SSC,Royd Coniston R.Grado RS1

AshM750.

Unread post by AshM750. »

Royd actually already modded a set of 310s they are called A7x and I have a set, I want to take them apart and see what he did but im afraid I may break them. They are excellent speakers.

here they are.
http://www.roydaudio.org/models/a7x/

wallace

Unread post by wallace »

C'mon Ash,pop out that bass unit and give us a gander of the inside.Are you a man or a cautious person... 8-) :roll:
Revox B795,,NVA PHONO 1,Teac PD-H500C,Squeezebox Touch,Bushmaster MKII,NVA AP70,LS5,Royd Minstrels i/c's SSC's. .
Sony Laptop,E-Dac, NVA AP10P, LS3,SSC,Royd Coniston R.Grado RS1

AshM750.

wallace wrote:C'mon Ash,pop out that bass unit and give us a gander of the inside.Are you a man or a cautious person... 8-) :roll:
Ok ile do it tomorrow and post some pics, actually my dad has some 310s so I shall see if he will let me borrow them and ile do a comparison thread.

istari_knight

Thanks guys 8-)
Daniel Quinn wrote:If you going to go that far then i recommend you do not single wire and you hard write the speaker cable direct to the
drivers.obsessive but worth while. ;)
Duly noted. Though I am quite fond of being able to remove/change speaker cables without soldering.
Wallace wrote:The tweeters look to be the same as in my 310's which i really like and never annoy me
They're almost certainly Peerless D20DT or some variant of it... Will be interesting to find out if they contain ferrofluid [and if so, remove it!] They don't sound *bad* at present but something isn't quite to my liking be it the implementation or there may be a bipolar lytic feeding them I'm hearing. I think the mid/bass are also Peerless units but not 100% as I've not removed them yet.
AshM750 wrote:Royd actually already moddied a set of 310s they are called A7x and I have a set, I want to take them apart and see what he did but im afraid I may break them. They are excellent speakers.
Very interesting, yes I recall seeing those before but had completely forgotten - Thanks for the reminder.

AshM750.

Ile try get some photos for you tomorrow ;)

istari_knight

Well I've had a little play today...

Took them completely apart, I can confirm the drivers are manufactured by Peerless India and appear to be decent enough units:

The woofer basket may well be moulded plastic but its incredibly stiff & has lots of venting around the voice coil which is a nice touch... The magnet is pretty large as you'd expect for a bass reflex design.

Lots of BAF wadding !

Here you can see the baffle is 2x thickness, another nice unexpected touch.

Here is a view from the top of the cabinet [internal] looking toward the bottom... As you can see its one large cavity, no dividers or sealed off parts as can be the case [Rega!] Just one decent brace beneath the midbass driver.

The crossovers, If the label is to be believed its shared between 510/710 models. Lots of crappy parts as expected, bipolar 'lyrics, ceramic resistors, ferrite-cored LF inductors & those nasty little PTC's :evil: At least they used an air-core on the HF section I suppose.

This is what the crossover actually is... Please excuse the terrible quality but I'm struggling to find a decent [free] CAD program for OS X.

So far I have removed the BAF wadding entirely, there is none left inside the cabinets & also removed the PTC fuses [they can be bypassed but I wanted rid of them completely!] Been listening for over an hour now... Initial impression is that they sound more "live" now, as if a little reverb has been added but they are more entertaining for it.

More to come soon...