Netherlands

Re: Doc Mod Drivers

Unread post by Fretless »

The Doc's right, guys (again!). :grin:

Upstairs:
Vinyl
Pro-Ject 1.2 + Grado Sig Jr + Cambridge Alva Duo
DigiVolumio PC + Kiss DP-500 + Sabaj A20d
NVA: P50sa - Cube2 - SSP - LS6+ Sabaj A10a (x2)
Downstairs:
Vinyl
Logic DM101 + Syrinx LE1 + Grado Sig MCX
DigiDenafrips Ares II + Volumio PC + Cambridge CXC
NVA: P50 - BMU+ Aiyima A07 MAX (x2) + Arcam One
HP: HifiBerry Digi+ PRO + Sabaj A10d
Office:
Allo DigiOne SIG + SMSL M300se + Douk G4 (x2)
Mission 760 + Monolith THX AAA 887
Headphones: German Maestro, Monolith & AQ

naimless
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by naimless »

Hi Doc,

Its my first post,

Can your 5" modded driver replace the woofer driver in naim IBL?

I am thinking of ditching the crossover.

Cheers
PL71, AP80, Alabaster, Phonoclone, IBL

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

I don't know for certain, you have to try, they will probably need some mods to the cabinet. If you get them and they don't fit then send them back for refund.

You could of course start by modding / doping existing drivers. Explained in archive.

naimless

I had removed the damping material inside the IBL woofer compartment, it was an transformation.

I am thinking of pushing it further by going crossoverless.

I don't have the experience to dope the woofer, definitely wont do it myself, I plan to get the woofer from you and a set of visaton tweeter.

It will be great if you could provide the mounting distance and magnet diameter if possible. If it doesn't fit, I would probably turn them into DIY cube 3 :lol:

naimless

Another issue that crossed my mind is whether the ibl woofer cavity is a good match for the doped woofer?

_D_S_J_R_
Wales

Unread post by _D_S_J_R_ »

Shouldn't be an issue.

The IBL was designed to replace at higher cost, the original KAN, with it's no deep bass and over-forward balance. The cabinet is pretty solid as it is and the cheap M-S sourced? driver better for the purpose than the KEF B110 which by this time was all over the place.

If you don't mind losing any residual value in the IBL's (they have Kan and Naim cachet to them), then the 5" driver the Doc uses should give a far tauter and higher power handling bass and tame the squeaky upper midrange into something much more natural. removing the awful passive crossover will pay dividends - you could try the Naim driver without it's crossover as a comparison - you won't do damage. The small dome Scan squeakers Naim, Linn and Rega used are frightful things though and offer a chrome-plated almost whistly quality to treble sounds ime (they take off at 9kHz, even the ferro-fluid version Spendor and pro-Ac used). I don't think they're wide enough in bandwidth for use in a Doc-mod design. The Visaton is a much more modern and happier beast and after a few weeks' use (in my opinion), sweetens beautifully when used the NVA way with a cap to protect it and a padding resistor for level matching.
Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way...The time has gone, The song is over, Thought I'd something more to say...

naimless

Thanks a lot for the info, I did a quick measurement on the driver mounting just to see if it fits.

There are 4 fastener for the driver, distance between top 2 fasteners is 9.5cm, likewise distance between top and bottom fasteners is also 9.5cm, distance between top left/ bottom right or vise-versa is 13.4cm.

The driver mounting hole dimension is 11.2 cm in diameter.

The woofer box internal dimension is 14cm in width, 14.5cm in hight, and 9.5cm in depth (average).

I hope the modded woofer could fit in properly.

Regards.

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Don't worry about screw holes, glue the driver in with Bison Kit, don't worry it comes out easily when needed to as it is rubber based and never goes permanent hard. Hole size should be ok with a bit of wiggling to get the solder terminals through the hole. Internal dimensions are fine.

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

I have made this thread a sticky as the first post has the Doc Mods driver prices.

naimless

Hi Doc,

Just to update on the drivers I bought from you.

The mounting bolt alignment was different to the IBL so I decided to ask a metal fabricator to fabricate a adapter, however even with adapter I would have to remove some wood to enlarge the cutout. So decided not to proceed with it.

Anyway I glue some metal plate inside the woofer compartment, I feel the bass line is more intelligible and have spend more time listening to IBL.

I am planning to use the drivers to build a pair of cubette, what is your view on matching with fullrange 3"drivers such as fountek or tangband?

Cheers