Allison Six refurb

A place for DIY project discussions.
jimbob
Great Britain

Re: Allison Six refurb

Unread post by jimbob »

As I will soon be doing a refurb on a pair of these myself and will be doing the full doc mod on them, what is the best glue to use for attaching the steel plates? I assume superglue will do?
Squeezebox Touch - Cambridge Audio Azur (pre) - Mycetias 250A Power Amp - Mycetias V2 Speakers

Dr Bunsen Honeydew
Has thanked: 0

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

No definitely not. Bison Kit is what I use.

jimbob
Great Britain

Unread post by jimbob »

Thanks doc, noted! Should have the speakers this week and I already have plenty of steel so should be done for the weekend. Then its a matter of tidying the cabs up and ordering drivers after Christmas. Pics to follow...
Squeezebox Touch - Cambridge Audio Azur (pre) - Mycetias 250A Power Amp - Mycetias V2 Speakers

kazam
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by kazam »

Scoping..

Snip, snip (does this look right?)

(Enough for today, do I just solder to complete?)

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Not a clue mate. I would have to be doing it. By far the simplest way is two new wires from the input terminals to the bass driver, leave the rest alone apart from not connected to the bass driver, as the crossover leg for the bass driver becomes redundant. When you get around to replacing the tweeters then just another two new wires from input terminals to the tweeter with a 12ohm wirewound 5w resistor and a good quality 3.3mfd (non polarised) capacitor in series in the positive wire to the tweeter. Cut the rest out and throw it away.

kazam

Unread post by kazam »

:handgestures-thumbup:

kazam

Unread post by kazam »

Alleged crossover schematic found and attached should it be of interest..
Attachments
post-101828-0-72764000-1330355981.jpg
post-101828-0-72764000-1330355981.jpg (96.78 KiB) Viewed 2812 times

Lazmo
Jamaica

Unread post by Lazmo »

A small delay here on proceedings a couple of the retaining bolt sleaves have come loose in my cabinets from removing and refitting drivers when the bolts started to squeak upon tightening them up that let me know they where twisting in there holes so i have to glue them back in place sooo whilst i am waiting for the glue to dry i have ordered the steel plate for the cabs today 6 pieces of 6x9 5mm steel plate as it looks like i'm going for the whole process here.

I did hesitate a little because once i have modded these i would be unable if i ever decide to do so ( highly unlikely but you never know ) sell them as original.

What price for a set of doc mod tweeters doc ? i am considering getting them now before the xmas mail system goes crazy and then i can construct as and when i get time also can you supply the resistor and capacitor for the tweeters or do i order from elsewhere? recommendations would be appreciated for the purchase of.
The LARGE print giveth - and the small print taketh away.

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

I hadn't priced them as they need a lot of tweaking and a lot of that is at the point of fitting them so I don't see how I can modify them for external sale. By the time that is all done you will be near the price of the Visaton G20. Though some are stupidly priced on ebay, look at the Visaton site and get the number of the UK distributor as I have forgotten it. These cheapos are useful for me as they cost me little and I enjoy the mods. I still think the Visaton has the edge but I am astounded how some work on a cheap silk Chinese tweeter has transformed it musically.

Lazmo
Jamaica

Unread post by Lazmo »

Ok doc yes i understand what you mean about the tweaking that makes sense.

I have ordered a pair of visaton G20's direct from the uk website all i have to do now is wait for my steel next thursday i'm promised it's been sourced by a friend who is an engineer from off cuts so no charge there :) and then source my capacitors

( you say a good quality 3.3mfd (non polarised) capacitor ) what should i be looking for what is considered good in the world of capacitors is there a specific brand and price to aim for
The LARGE print giveth - and the small print taketh away.