Allison Six refurb

A place for DIY project discussions.
Daniel Quinn

Re: Allison Six refurb

Unread post by Daniel Quinn »

Actually it was bobby golsboro - see the tree ;)

Lazmo
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0
Jamaica

Unread post by Lazmo »

Having had to affect a repair to my allison cabinet which took a little while especially getting the cross threaded screw out i'm a little behind with my project the steel is in and everything else out so i will (i hope ) find time to install the drivers and carry on with the build in the next few days .
The LARGE print giveth - and the small print taketh away.

jimbob
Great Britain

Unread post by jimbob »

Lazmo I have just taken my drivers out today and luckily the machine screws weren't too tight. What bass drivers were in yours? Mine has Big Cat Eminence which I assume are not standard. I took some photos and will try and put them up this week. Just need to fill, sand and spray the cabs over Christmas!
Squeezebox Touch - Cambridge Audio Azur (pre) - Mycetias 250A Power Amp - Mycetias V2 Speakers

kazam

Unread post by kazam »

jimbob wrote:Lazmo I have just taken my drivers out today and luckily the machine screws weren't too tight. What bass drivers were in yours? Mine has Big Cat Eminence which I assume are not standard. I took some photos and will try and put them up this week. Just need to fill, sand and spray the cabs over Christmas!
Jimbob, were yours the white ones that were recently listed on eBay? Are we going black or something more unusual?

Lazmo
Jamaica

Unread post by Lazmo »

No name on my drivers at all in fact the only information on the bass drivers is a number on the backof the paper cone 3011 the tweeters are allison originals so im guessing the drivers are from my assumptions i think i was the first person in these cabs a while back when i refoamed the drivers .

Lazmo
Jamaica

Unread post by Lazmo »

kazam wrote:Jimbob, were yours the white ones that were recently listed on eBay? Are we going black or something more unusual?

Like a nice Psychedelic gingham swirl :grin: :shock: :dance:

jimbob
Great Britain

Unread post by jimbob »

Yes they are the ones. Made him an offer on them and decided to take a chance on them. Mine had a piece of old sack material behind the bass drivers on top of all the fibre glass wadding. I am going black but the front panel will be getting done in a zebrano veneer which I think should look nice. I will be doing away with the plastic grilles and will be making new ones. Both top and front grilles will be square.
Squeezebox Touch - Cambridge Audio Azur (pre) - Mycetias 250A Power Amp - Mycetias V2 Speakers

kazam

Unread post by kazam »

Yes, it would seem the sack is standard issue, although I didn't recognise the other wadding as fibreglass. Isn't this usually quite an irritant to skin?

Please keep us updated on your cabinet work, I'm very interested in learning from you on this..

jimbob
Great Britain

Unread post by jimbob »

It didn't itch when taking it out but it was definitely a loft insulation kind of material. The cabinets are in pretty good shape so shouldn't take much filling. I'm looking forward to doing the veneer and will document progress!

Fretless
Netherlands

Unread post by Fretless »

Inspiring stuff here from both. :clap:
Following your progress with interest. :dance:

Upstairs:
Vinyl
Pro-Ject 1.2 + Grado Sig Jr + Cambridge Alva Duo
DigiVolumio PC + Kiss DP-500 + Sabaj A20d
NVA: P50sa - Cube2 - SSP - LS6+ Sabaj A10a (x2)
Downstairs:
Vinyl
Logic DM101 + Syrinx LE1 + Grado Sig MCX
DigiDenafrips Ares II + Volumio PC + Cambridge CXC
NVA: P50 - BMU+ Aiyima A07 MAX (x2) + Arcam One
HP: HifiBerry Digi+ PRO + Sabaj A10d
Office:
Allo DigiOne SIG + SMSL M300se + Douk G4 (x2)
Mission 760 + Monolith THX AAA 887
Headphones: German Maestro, Monolith & AQ