Another Allison 6 refurb thread!

A place for DIY project discussions.
Dr Bunsen Honeydew
Has thanked: 0

Re: Another Allison 6 refurb thread!

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

There is a Bake-Off being organised in the Manchester area on the forums (PFM, Wigwam and AoS) so try to take them along, expose other ears to them, spread the word.

jimbob
Great Britain

Unread post by jimbob »

Okay doc I will take a look at the other forums and put my name down to take these along. The whole process has been really fun and has given me the confidence to have a go at doc modding other speakers although to be honest I now have no desire to want any other speakers.
Squeezebox Touch - Cambridge Audio Azur (pre) - Mycetias 250A Power Amp - Mycetias V2 Speakers

Lazmo
Been thanked: 0
Jamaica

Unread post by Lazmo »

Hi jimbob Really good to hear your are loving the allison six (Doc Mods) they are a superb speaker made even better by the mods i hope you continue to enjoy them for many years to come i personally love mine to bits and can not see me parting company with these .

Great Job on the fit n finish btw :grin: :grin: :clap:
The LARGE print giveth - and the small print taketh away.

jimbob
Great Britain

Unread post by jimbob »

Thanks Lazmo. They really are quite special and these are keepers for sure. I want to take on other projects but these will not be getting sold.
Squeezebox Touch - Cambridge Audio Azur (pre) - Mycetias 250A Power Amp - Mycetias V2 Speakers

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

I have a pair of Doc Mods B&W that was part of my proving ground. Doc doped 8inch bass driver, Visaton tweeter, and over the top loads of steel plate. Taking up space I need - £150 - collect only as they are so heavy. No grills.

jimbob
Great Britain

Unread post by jimbob »

Someone should get these doing the rounds on the what HiFi forum. A real bargain here for someone close by.

hughandella

Unread post by hughandella »

Well I was the lucky buyer who picked up the 'doc modded' Allisons from James --- a real bargain @ £250 ------ unfortuantely there was some damage in transit, mostly to the plasticoat and surface chips - although one corner was quite badly knocked --- being so heavy a massive amount of packaging is required - lesson learnt !
More importantly there appears to be no damage to the speakers themselves and they are playing right now and sounding v good with Gregory Porter, Richard Hawley and some Miles and Thelonious Monk --- bass is v good and as well as going pretty deep, more importantly you can pick out the notes and each note is crisp and doesn't over extend - the drivers do v well.
A couple of pictures -- I have a couple of cheap back-up/fun amps --- an Amptastic class D (or T amp I can't remember ) circa 15 watts, a cheap Chinese amp with stock valves 3.5watts and the NVA P10P recently bought on eBay.
The Amptastic (£110) sounded pretty good and would certainly suffice as a starter for those on a real budget ( circa £60 used ) a little lightweight and bright but not bad ... then the Chinese Tube (£120 ) I bought this for £80 and it doesnt look as though it's been used ... it sounded nice especially at low volumes and did add some tube warmth(distortion if you prefer) but when cranked up the sound became muddled and fuzzy --- I think about 10 watts is prob a minimum for these speakers. Lastly the NVA - again it was a revelation -- a £300 (new) simply shouldn't sound as good as this - it partners the speakers perfectly perhaps unsurprisingly but it doesnt lack for power - I'm sure larger NVAs would be even better and I'll move upwards in time but the quality is there already ---- all in all a great sound for little outlay.
( Other gear is iFi audio DSD DAC £105 used including a decent audioquest USB and Innuos Zen player/streamer/hard drive £600 new -- interconnects SSC's, speaker cable is from 47 Labs - who share Doc's love of simplicity but take a different approach on pricing !)

jimbob
Great Britain

Unread post by jimbob »

They look really nice in situ. I'm gutted that they were damaged in transit but glad that they are working perfectly. Really good speakers that will thrive with any future amp upgrades. Having said that the AP10 is a ridiculously good amp for the money!

hughandella

Unread post by hughandella »

yep tks --- the stands work well with them i think ..... and should have mentioned what a top job you did on the build btw

cheers James

Fretless
Netherlands

Unread post by Fretless »

The Allison Cubes are looking good. Intriguing digi setup you have there.
Enjoy the music! :grin: :guiness; :dance:

Upstairs:
Vinyl
Pro-Ject 1.2 + Grado Sig Jr + Cambridge Alva Duo
DigiVolumio PC + Kiss DP-500 + Sabaj A20d
NVA: P50sa - Cube2 - SSP - LS6+ Sabaj A10a (x2)
Downstairs:
Vinyl
Logic DM101 + Syrinx LE1 + Grado Sig MCX
DigiDenafrips Ares II + Volumio PC + Cambridge CXC
NVA: P50 - BMU+ Aiyima A07 MAX (x2) + Arcam One
HP: HifiBerry Digi+ PRO + Sabaj A10d
Office:
Allo DigiOne SIG + SMSL M300se + Douk G4 (x2)
Mission 760 + Monolith THX AAA 887
Headphones: German Maestro & AudioQuest