Internal wire for speakers

A place for DIY project discussions.
Daniel Quinn

Re: Internal wire for speakers

Unread post by Daniel Quinn »

My speakers are hard wired to the amp . Then the speakers binding posts are removed and LS3 is hard wired to the bass driver . IMO that does sound better .

I cant appreciate a reason why it would sound better if binding posts intervene . but that is me .

jammy395
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by jammy395 »

Orc 201267 wrote:But would any speaker not sound better if it was the same wire from amp to speaker instead off say one make off wire in amp ;;one from amp to speaker sockets ;; then from speaker socket to speaker cone so three different makes\grade off wire
No - Its this mix n match approach that gives yer system the Inky Blackness & Character. ;) :shifty:

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

Orc 201267 wrote:But would any speaker not sound better if it was the same wire from amp to speaker instead off say one make off wire in amp ;;one from amp to speaker sockets ;; then from speaker socket to speaker cone so three different makes\grade off wire
That question just means you are miles away from understanding and I don't have the time or the inclination to start teaching electronics.

Orc 201267

Unread post by Orc 201267 »

Dr Bunsen Honeydew wrote:
That question just means you are miles away from understanding and I don't have the time or the inclination to start teaching electronics.
And that shows total disrespect to others and the bigheaded approach that spoils this hobby
Life is to short to do all the things I want to do

_D_S_J_R_
Wales

Unread post by _D_S_J_R_ »

Before getting the hump orc, do please be aware that speaker drivers have hundreds of feet of thin coil-wire across the load. A few inches of internal wiring in an amp and speaker really makes absolutely NO difference, honestly, as the impedance difference would be a hundredth of an ohm and completely irrelevant and inaudible. Several metres of speaker cable is much longer and may well make a small improvement. This is where the hobby part comes in, because 'we' then hear, or think we hear, massive changes when in fact they're tiny or even non-existent. Please, I'm really not being patronising here, just trying to share my experiences as honestly as I can.

My ancient Spendor BC2's were made with very thin wires and I was a bit reluctant to replace them. Their current designer told me to upgrade them to something used today inside speakers, so I went and used Maplin 50 strand (around a quid a metre from them - RS 50 strand comes on 25m rolls from memory and I didn't need more than five metres or each colour), which looked identical to the stuff Epos used in their ES11 and ES14's, even to having the same writing on the wire.

So, did it make any difference, replacing half a metre or so inside the speakers? Perhaps I imagined a slight improvement in bass 'solidity,' but it's soon forgotten and the stuff originally used was VERY thin for full range (1/2m to the crossover boards) and a foot or so to the bass units)..

NVA speakers have but a very few inches of cable inside and it's damped to prevent vibration and runs in as straight a line as it can. Later Spendors of this model moved the crossover right next to the tweeters, thus shaving mostof the length away at a stroke.

Before -

and after -

Last edited by _D_S_J_R_ on Wed Feb 17, 2016 6:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way...The time has gone, The song is over, Thought I'd something more to say...

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

Orc 201267 wrote:
Dr Bunsen Honeydew wrote:
And that shows total disrespect to others and the bigheaded approach that spoils this hobby
If someone asks idiotic questions what do you expect me to do. There has to be a base point of knowledge to work from. Come back and talk to me when you have it. And cut out the ad hominem the next example will be removed.

You could start by explaining to me what you think wire is and what it does as you obviously don't understand. I blame all the forum bullshit. Cable works on different levels and not all jobs are the same, but the basics are of load and reactance, and that is LCR, and you would need absolutely massive levels of LCR for 12 to 18 inches to make any difference to anything. Getting rid of a set of contacts as DQ has done will be audible to a degree.

Orc 201267

I asked a genuine question
I did not ask for you to be rude to me
I was taught to ask if you don't know because its how you learn

Orc 201267

It is only you who thinks its an idiotic question but hey that's your choice not mine

_D_S_J_R_
Wales

Unread post by _D_S_J_R_ »

Did my answer help you?
Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way...The time has gone, The song is over, Thought I'd something more to say...

Orc 201267

_D_S_J_R_ wrote:Before getting the hump orc, do please be aware that speaker drivers have hundreds of feet of thin coil-wire across the load. A few inches of internal wiring in an amp and speaker really makes absolutely NO difference, honestly, as the impedance difference would be a hundredth of an ohm and completely irrelevant and inaudible. Several metres of speaker cable is much longer and may well make a small improvement. This is where the hobby part comes in, because 'we' then hear, or think we hear, massive changes when in fact they're tiny or even non-existent. Please, I'm really not being patronising here, just trying to share my experiences as honestly as I can.

My ancient Spendor BC2's were made with very thin wires and I was a bit reluctant to replace them. Their current designer told me to upgrade them to something used today inside speakers, so I went and used Maplin 50 strand (around a quid a metre from them - RS 50 strand comes on 25m rolls from memory and I didn't need more than five metres or each colour), which looked identical to the stuff Epos used in their ES11 and ES14's, even to having the same writing on the wire.

So, did it make any difference, replacing half a metre or so inside the speakers? Perhaps I imagined a slight improvement in bass 'solidity,' but it's soon forgotten and the stuff originally used was VERY thin for full range (1/2m to the crossover boards) and a foot or so to the bass units)..

NVA speakers have but a very few inches of cable inside and it's damped to prevent vibration and runs in as straight a line as it can. Later Spendors of this model moved the crossover right next to the tweeters, thus shaving mostof the length away at a stroke.

Before -

and after -

Thank you yes I knew most off the voice coil bit and thanks for the rest d s j r