JPW P1 Doc Mods

A place for DIY project discussions.
Dr Bunsen Honeydew
Has thanked: 0

Re: JPW P1 Doc Mods

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

It is your ears and your music that is important. I just give guide points.

Quarknosis

Unread post by Quarknosis »

DQ, any chance of a picture of the tweeters so that we can see how they look in place, I'm also interested to know if they are a direct fit into the existing fixings.
Main System. Amp - Luxman LV-120, CD - Pioneer PDX505 & Hitachi DA 401. Turntable - Trio KD-2055/Denon DL-110 & Ortofon VMS20E. Cassette Deck - JVC KD A55. Speakers - Arcam Alpha connected with NVA LS3.

Headphone System - Little Dot Mkiii headphone amp, various vintage CD players into NVA P50 with Sennheiser HD600 and Beyer DT 880

Daniel Quinn

Unread post by Daniel Quinn »

Of course , they look good . Very happy, spent this afternoon make the cabs airtight quad going to listen over next couple of days.

Doc. You are correct. I like a lively sound. For instance Billy Bragg St Swithlans day is not only one of the best love songs ever written mi like the attack of the twangy guitars. Going to listen let them bed in and then try different settings.

Daniel Quinn

Oops missed the direct fit bit, they are except for the connectors . They require an an extra 5 mm either side. I chiseled this bit out.

Quarknosis

Daniel Quinn wrote:Oops missed the direct fit bit, they are except for the connectors . They require an an extra 5 mm either side. I chiseled this bit out.
Thanks for the info. Probably not worth messing about with the other tweeters that I have then, both sets would require new holes to be drilled, if the Doc Mod tweeter is a direct fit externally then it will be easier.

Anyway, I'll fit the 8 inch drivers in first before getting new tweeters
Main System. Amp - Luxman LV-120, CD - Pioneer PDX505 & Hitachi DA 401. Turntable - Trio KD-2055/Denon DL-110 & Ortofon VMS20E. Cassette Deck - JVC KD A55. Speakers - Arcam Alpha connected with NVA LS3.

Headphone System - Little Dot Mkiii headphone amp, various vintage CD players into NVA P50 with Sennheiser HD600 and Beyer DT 880

Daniel Quinn

got some 3.3 uf caps from maplin and a variety of resistors.

settled on 3.3 ohm. now listening for a couple of weeks as I am happy with sound tweeters are an improvement but I was getting lost with capacitor resistor experimentation.

doc . I have split my ls3 speaker cable 3 wires to the treble and rest to bass. before it was equal split . is the split on the tweeter two low ?

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

No it will be fine.

"Couple of weeks" :-?

Daniel Quinn

Ta -
couple of weeks ,means I am leaving them to get used to them - may experiment later on .

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Ah! will be listening for a couple of weeks. I read it as had been listening for a couple of weeks.

Quarknosis

I arrived home this afternoon to find a box from the Doc waiting for me :grin: I now have possession of a pair of 8" Doc Mod drivers.

I don't think I will have time to fit them until the weekend or early next week, but I have tried them sat in a spare set of P1 cabinets and they look like they should fit in the existing fixings exaclly. I think DQ said that they are about 5mm smaller in diameter than the originals (they're more like 10mm overall but 5mm inside where the old drivers were) and that he filled the holes before fitting the drivers but the ones that I have cover the holes nicely and I might even be able to use 4mm machine screws to keep them in place. If that is the case it will be a great time saver because I was expecting to have to fill the holes and repaint the fronts of the cabinets

Doc at the moment there isn't any wire attached to the terminals, is the tinned 16/0.2mm equipment wire that you have recommended ok for these?https://www.rapidonline.com/cables-conn ... -2mm-62322 I have some lengths of this type of wire that I can use. Also I haven't found any gasket material and I don't have Bison kit at the moment, is there any reason in your opinion why I couldn't use any decent contact adhesive or something like silicone sealant?