Tonearm Interconnects

A place for DIY project discussions.
_D_S_J_R_
Wales

Re: Tonearm Interconnects

Unread post by _D_S_J_R_ »

If I use slim mic cables like pro Patch, I follow the custom as used by Mission in the original 774 and Audio origami in his own use of this wire, Inner conductors for hot and return, one cable per channel, the screen being connected at the phono plug (amp) end (for convenience). I use a separate wire for deck chassis earthing. Works for me and sounds fine.
Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way...The time has gone, The song is over, Thought I'd something more to say...

The Permed One
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by The Permed One »

Dr Bunsen Honeydew wrote:Permy you don't understand shit yet you spout like an expert, stick to Prog as you know nothing about hi-fi and electronics.
Yeh like wise. Your term shot gun wire :lol: , Shot gun Is two runs of cable made side by side ie: Shotgun barrel..

This is Shotgun cable :lol:

http://www.designacable.com/media/catal ... _cable.jpg

_D_S_J_R_
Wales

jayman67 wrote:yep im serious,its not for me,im open to reasonable offers before it goes on ebay.
What are you thinking of replacing it with? Don't say a Linn Ittok or Rega, as *with this deck,* they won't be anywhere near up to it. The jelco won't be as well made either. The Ittok rings at hf and if anything, it was better than the first Ekos arms, which were an unmitigated disaster, especially when the adhesives eventually got into the tonearm bearings and seized them up.

Martin Colloms went with the flow in the 80's and panned all tonearms with 'SME/Ortofon' style detachable headshells. The fact is, most Japanese audio enthusiasts use tonearms like this and found decades ago that correct choice of headshells (and MC cartridges that seem rather immune to this method of fixing to the arm) mitigated any supposed rigidity issues, the 'problem' all but disappearing!
Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way...The time has gone, The song is over, Thought I'd something more to say...

The Permed One

_D_S_J_R_ wrote:If I use slim mic cables like pro Patch, I follow the custom as used by Mission in the original 774 and Audio origami in his own use of this wire, Inner conductors for hot and return, one cable per channel, the screen being connected at the phono plug (amp) end (for convenience). I use a separate wire for deck chassis earthing. Works for me and sounds fine.
ADMIN EDIT - Ad Hominem removed - 2nd strike given as you already have one.

jayman67

Unread post by jayman67 »

_D_S_J_R_ wrote:
jayman67 wrote:yep im serious,its not for me,im open to reasonable offers before it goes on ebay.
What are you thinking of replacing it with? Don't say a Linn Ittok or Rega, as *with this deck,* they won't be anywhere near up to it. The jelco won't be as well made either. The Ittok rings at hf and if anything, it was better than the first Ekos arms, which were an unmitigated disaster, especially when the adhesives eventually got into the tonearm bearings and seized them up.

Martin Colloms went with the flow in the 80's and panned all tonearms with 'SME/Ortofon' style detachable headshells. The fact is, most Japanese audio enthusiasts use tonearms like this and found decades ago that correct choice of headshells (and MC cartridges that seem rather immune to this method of fixing to the arm) mitigated any supposed rigidity issues, the 'problem' all but disappearing!
none of the above,i think a mission 774 or an alphason hr would work well on it.
at the heart of it is,its a basic arm that sony produced,i just want to invest in something better.
the turntable deserves that i think.
if that makes me a mug,then im a mug.
heres a pic of a similar sony arm,mine uses the same bearing method,

i may be showing my inexperience here but is that what quality hi end tonearms use?
Yamaha NS1000M speakers,Pioneer PLC-590 turntable,,Alphason HR-100S-MCS/Zeta tonearms,Denon 103sa cartridge ,Sony 700ES Amp,Sony X555ES CD Player, Nakamichi ca5 pre amp.

jayman67

LOL its all gone a bit quite here :grin:
Yamaha NS1000M speakers,Pioneer PLC-590 turntable,,Alphason HR-100S-MCS/Zeta tonearms,Denon 103sa cartridge ,Sony 700ES Amp,Sony X555ES CD Player, Nakamichi ca5 pre amp.

jammy395

Unread post by jammy395 »

Ok lets liven it up then....sorry Jay but yer a mug. :guiness;
Imho......Youve went about this new TT thing all wrong.
Get a fine DD deck (Standard) that will piss all over yer LP12 set up,
Then go about butchering it.......nice one NOT.

Just saying like, and you did ask. :doh: :guiness;

Still yer not alone permy (The Expert) is doing the same with his techie. :mrgreen:

Armboards, psu's, interconnects..... :lol: :lol: :lol:
Last edited by jammy395 on Sun Jul 31, 2016 8:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.

The Permed One

ADMIN EDIT - A single smilie is not a post as there is no content. In future use content or don't bother. Next time will be a strike.

_D_S_J_R_
Wales

The Mission 774 had shit bearings, which did get better but were crudely loaded I remember. A solid/stolid needle roller is fine if adjusted properly. The Alphason has a good tube, but again and like the massy Zeta, the bearings weren't good and easily damaged. By the way, the ABEC rating for ball races was a silly marketing thing, as the hardness only applied at the very high speeds and loads used in skaters roller-boots for example - nothing to do with tonearms.

You MUST have some form of energy dissipation I believe, and that's one reason why Rega arms sound so bad on so many decks.

Oh dear, we all live and learn. I do try to pass mine on, but it's either ignored, or challenged on points :(

jayman67

cheers dave i appreciate your advice,i take all your points on board.i for one dont challenge you as i do not have the experience,i dont expect to be called a mug etc,i dont know so i ask ok!
with all this advice given,has anyone ever owned this tonearm? or are you all just waxing lyrical?
jammy how am i butchering it? the tt has a removable board,it was designed to make changes easy.