Another Goodmans Magnum project

A place for DIY project discussions.
Dave the bass
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Another Goodmans Magnum project

Unread post by Dave the bass »

Quick question for Toontrev, what thickness steel plate did you go for in the end on your project? I'm modding a pair of 1980 era Celestion DL8 at the mo.

The cabinets I'm working on are only accessible through the woofer, tweeter and connection holes so I'm going to make up some cardboard templates this weekend to find a way of fitting the plates in before I commit to having the sizes cut in steel plate. I don't want to make an expensive mistake.

A couple of deals on many smaller pieces of 6mm thick became a bit too expensive so I'm taking the plunge and getting some plate cut once I know exactly what sizes I need.

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

I have used between 3mm and 5mm and even mixed them, no problems.

jayman67

Unread post by jayman67 »

ive just cut up some 3mm steel plate at work,i have loads of off cuts all the same size,i will check the size tomorrow if your interested you can have them for postage only.
Yamaha NS1000M speakers,Pioneer PLC-590 turntable,,Alphason HR-100S-MCS/Zeta tonearms,Denon 103sa cartridge ,Sony 700ES Amp,Sony X555ES CD Player, Nakamichi ca5 pre amp.

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

Hows your project going.

Dave the bass

Dr Bunsen Honeydew wrote:I have used between 3mm and 5mm and even mixed them, no problems.
Thats good to hear, ta Richard. BTW, the Bison Kit comes this weekend so driver doping can start which leads nicely to.....
jayman67 wrote:ive just cut up some 3mm steel plate at work,i have loads of off cuts all the same size,i will check the size tomorrow if your interested you can have them for postage only.
Yes please Jayman, ta for the offer. If you let me know what you've got I'll get 'inside' the cabs this weekend and see how I can fettle all the bits in.

Cheers,

DTB.

Thread here -> http://www.audio-talk.co.uk/phpBB3/view ... f=4&t=6708

jayman67

Dr Bunsen Honeydew wrote:Hows your project going.
the mordaunt shorts?
im kinda side tracked at the moment,im re capping the 66's,im waiting for some caps to arrive,to be honest im really enjoying those little monitor audio r852md speakers at the moment so im in no rush.ive just changed the ferrofluid in them tonight.
Yamaha NS1000M speakers,Pioneer PLC-590 turntable,,Alphason HR-100S-MCS/Zeta tonearms,Denon 103sa cartridge ,Sony 700ES Amp,Sony X555ES CD Player, Nakamichi ca5 pre amp.

Toontrev

Unread post by Toontrev »

I used 3mm in my Magnums. They are quite large speakers and the weight increase is substantial. Luckily my Bro cut up and gave the the steel plates FOC.

Dave the bass

Toontrev wrote: Luckily my Bro cut up and gave the the steel plates FOC.
3mm, noted, ta.

Does your Bro need another long-lost Bro he's never met before per chance...? :)

jayman67

hi dave,
the off cuts i have are 110mm by 160. any good to you?

Dave the bass

jayman67 wrote:hi dave,
the off cuts i have are 110mm by 160. any good to you?
Awesome,thanks fr the offer Jayman.The drivers come out tomorrow for doping, I'll have a measure-up tomorrow and make some templates of the same size and see how they'll fit in.

Ta for the offer, I'll confirm tomorrow.

Cheers,

DTB.