DIY turntable shelf

A place for DIY project discussions.
Jonty2547
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

DIY turntable shelf

Unread post by Jonty2547 »

I really need to move my TT to a dedicated wall shelf as my rack is rapidly filling with little black boxes :grin:
The ready made ones for sale do look nice but seem ridiculously overpriced for what they are?
So, my plan was to buy some pretty cast iron wall brackets, pop on some sorbothane pads (or weld on some nuts and use spikes) and place a 30mm slab of black granite on top, and also make a smaller version underneath for the Phono 1.
Will this work ok? Has anyone here done such a thing and how successful was it?
TT- Thorens TD160B MKII with SME 3009, SL1210 and PL-71. Amps-NVA P50sa/A40's & Phono 1. CDP- Sony X555ES. Speakers-B&W 705 with LS1.
Headphone system Bushmaster II, Capella amp, Pi 3B+ with Hifiberry Digi+ Pro & Nighthawk cans.

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Re: DIY turntable shelf

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

Sounds fine apart from I would use 20mm polished black acrylic. Coupe v de-couple, it depends on the TT, you will have to suck and see.

_D_S_J_R_
Wales

Unread post by _D_S_J_R_ »

Not sure granite on spikes is necessary, as the mass will be enough I reckon! Never used acrylic at all for a support, but have used balsa, as supplied by Something Solid's Mark Orr and that's great depending on the turntable.
Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way...The time has gone, The song is over, Thought I'd something more to say...

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Balsa - Bonkers :shock:

Jonty2547

TT is Thorens TD160, and if i'm honest i'm sick of it skipping every time i go near the rack, hence the need for a shelf.
I didn't even consider acrylic, but i can imagine it'll look extremely easy on the eye 8-)
Hell, i might wall mount the lot and chuck the rack.
TT- Thorens TD160B MKII with SME 3009, SL1210 and PL-71. Amps-NVA P50sa/A40's & Phono 1. CDP- Sony X555ES. Speakers-B&W 705 with LS1.
Headphone system Bushmaster II, Capella amp, Pi 3B+ with Hifiberry Digi+ Pro & Nighthawk cans.

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

:clap: :dance:

zebbo
Great Britain

Unread post by zebbo »

I replaced the top of my rack with 20mm acrylic. I decided to have a couple of hi-fi mates around for the evening so we could all judge what effect, if any, it would have over the 6mm glass. We were all amazed at the improvement and it's not super expensive. My top @ 1260mm x 500mm x 20mm, (black) was about £70.
Audio Grail "Sable" Garrard 401 with Cumbrian Green Slate plinth / Audiomods 6 / Benz Micro Gullwing SLR, Phono 2, NVA INT400sa. (Oh and a Copland CDA823 CD Player, for when I fancy a bit of the devil's spawn!) :lol:

antonio66

Unread post by antonio66 »

Zebbo, does the acrylic shelf sit on spikes on top of your rack?
Dr Bunsen Honeydew wrote:Balsa - Bonkers :shock:
It's the new in thing Doc. :lol:

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

What being bonkers, well it seems it is in some quarters :roll:

Jonty2547

zebbo wrote:I replaced the top of my rack with 20mm acrylic. I decided to have a couple of hi-fi mates around for the evening so we could all judge what effect, if any, it would have over the 6mm glass. We were all amazed at the improvement and it's not super expensive. My top @ 1260mm x 500mm x 20mm, (black) was about £70.
That's good to know! May i ask where you got it from?

Just thinking out loud here..
My new cottage isn't quite ready to move into yet, but the plan is to rip out the current shelves, fit new acrylic (not granite) ones and stick the Hi-Fi in the alcove to the right of the fireplace. I've already had a separate spur wired in for that purpose :mrgreen: ...

Hopefully theres some method in the madness :-?