A place for DIY project discussions.
terrybooth
Great Britain

Re: Solid Oak Speaker Stands

Unread post by terrybooth »

Cube 2 and stand
Cube 2 and stand
DSC01428.JPG (333.02 KiB) Viewed 3365 times
Cube 2 on solid oak stand - I'v used those washing machine vibration pad thingies under the speakers (the other on is on the other side of the sideboard.

Lots of cables still.

Wallpaper artfully distressed by cats. :grin:
Pioneer PL71/DL103/ Phono2/HiFiPi/P90SA/TIS/CubixPro

antonio66
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by antonio66 »

The Cubes 2's look like they could move, maybe a top plate on the stand would be a good idea. I have tried those washing machine pads under my Cube 3's and also vibrapods (courtesy of George) and very slightly preferred the vibrapods. I have 6 wooden cones on order from China http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/281704493057? ... EBIDX%3AIT and will be giving them a go, 3 under each speaker.

terrybooth
Great Britain

Yep. Looks like the could. Haven't so far though. :) Brief listening I thought I preferred the sound with these than without.

I'll have to get some more wood to make the top plates - a bit of a roundtuit at the moment though.

antonio66

Thought you might like to know how I have got on with the cones, (only 1 week from Hong Kong - brill) They have replaced the vibrapods and although not night and day difference, they have given a little more definition at the top end and maybe the bass. Very natural sounding, and I would recommend them for £12.00. Good luck with a top plate.

oldcameraman3

Unread post by oldcameraman3 »

I am not a great experimenter but hate waste.A while back my wife and I were looking at the garage to create a space to indulge me with a wet darkroom which I enjoyed at our previous house.I noted we still had her aunts piano which she had inherited ten years previously but had little time for,a quick check confirmed that its time in our previous house and in the garage had left it with sticking keys and totally out of tune ,so the decision was made to dispose of it.I enquired about a council uplift and decided it would be easier to break it up and take it to the tip myself.
A look at the construction highlighted the nicely veneered parts that might be recycled and I salvaged several parts of it.A sledge hammer and saw dealt with the rest.I then,to cut a long story shorter decided a set of speaker stands might be feasible.The keyboard lid formed the base and the back stand served as the uprights with the top lid to mount the speakers on.It worked!
The improvement in my small monitor speakers was very encouraging and they looked reasonably good,given that weighting the base and veneering the sides would be the final stage if I ever get round to it.Any suggestions as to improvements to its present design welcome.I have to state that a piano was harmed in the making of this.
Attachments
DSC_0001 2.jpg
DSC_0001 2.jpg (145.33 KiB) Viewed 3275 times

antonio66

Thinking out of the box there cameraman.

terrybooth
Great Britain

oldcameraman3 wrote:I am not a great experimenter but hate waste.A while back my wife and I were looking at the garage to create a space to indulge me with a wet darkroom which I enjoyed at our previous house.I noted we still had her aunts piano which she had inherited ten years previously but had little time for,a quick check confirmed that its time in our previous house and in the garage had left it with sticking keys and totally out of tune ,so the decision was made to dispose of it.I enquired about a council uplift and decided it would be easier to break it up and take it to the tip myself.
A look at the construction highlighted the nicely veneered parts that might be recycled and I salvaged several parts of it.A sledge hammer and saw dealt with the rest.I then,to cut a long story shorter decided a set of speaker stands might be feasible.The keyboard lid formed the base and the back stand served as the uprights with the top lid to mount the speakers on.It worked!
The improvement in my small monitor speakers was very encouraging and they looked reasonably good,given that weighting the base and veneering the sides would be the final stage if I ever get round to it.Any suggestions as to improvements to its present design welcome.I have to state that a piano was harmed in the making of this.
Glad to see that I'm not the only one who can't throw bits of wood away. :grin: Now, what am I going to do with that old wardrobe. :mrgreen:

zebbo
Great Britain

Unread post by zebbo »

terrybooth wrote:
Oakstands.jpg
First set in place.
They been sanded and given coats of danish oil. Screwed together. The feet are blind electrical grommets screwed in, the top is just the end of the sleeper. I'll probably use some bluetack to stop the speakers getting knocked off.

Looks - loads better imho. Sound, well, when I had one in place, the sound seemed to be pulled to that side, so I think there's a little improvement.
Nice work Terry. I, personally, would have gone for a bigger footprint though. I realise the foot visually matches the size of the Cubette, but at that height I'd worry about them being toppled.

Edit: Don't pictures copy over on a quote??
Audio Grail "Sable" Garrard 401 with Cumbrian Green Slate plinth / Audiomods 6 / Benz Micro Gullwing SLR, Phono 2, NVA INT400sa. (Oh and a Copland CDA823 CD Player, for when I fancy a bit of the devil's spawn!) :lol:

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

terrybooth wrote: Glad to see that I'm not the only one who can't throw bits of wood away. :grin: Now, what am I going to do with that old wardrobe. :mrgreen:
Find two the same, close the doors, fit Tannoy 12 or 15inch drivers in them and pretend they are speakers (honk honk burble burble, crap music)