Doped drivers, why?

A place for DIY project discussions.
Simon Hickie
Has thanked: 0

Re: Doped drivers, why?

Unread post by Simon Hickie »

Bugger. I just typed a load of stuff comparing the Ptolomeic model of the Universe with the Copernican one and then accidentally closed the window. The point I was going to make is that when the model or theory itself is fundamentally flawed but you stick with it and keep refining it then sooner or later somebody will come along with a different model which better fits in with the observable empirical data. The problem is that there will still be those who adhere to the former model despite evidence that it is flawed. This gives rise to what psychologists call cognitive dissonance, a concept well explained in this link: https://www.simplypsychology.org/cognit ... nance.html and helps to explain why some people are so resistant to new ideas and perhaps reluctant to engage in activities which may seriously challenge their worldview or Weltanschauung as the Germans call it.

Back on topic, would it be fair to describe "our" philosophical approach to hifi in this natty little mnemonic - "Simplicity, Neutrality, Transparency", underpinned by a methodology based on "Listening, not Measuring"?

Daniel Quinn

Unread post by Daniel Quinn »

The key word is music and musicality. Now define that if you can ;)

Simon Hickie

Unread post by Simon Hickie »

Daniel Quinn wrote:The key word is music and musicality. Now define that if you can
About on a par with 'Leica Glow'. You know it when you see it. ;)

Jonty2547
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by Jonty2547 »

FAQ's are a very useful tool in my opinion.
I've written many for car forums (with videos) from something as simple as changing air/oil filters to more complex things such as injectors/turbo replacement to calliper rebuilds etc etc.
It's all well and good if you have the knowledge, but for those that don't it's an invaluable source of information.
I'm sure I'm not alone in going to YouTube or a particular forum to see how to hang a door, fix the central heating or mend a watch or whatever.
As the OP i obviously pissed off the Doc with a simple question, but if it transpires that a bullshit free guide and explanation is posted then it'll be no bad thing :guiness;
TT- Thorens TD160B MKII with SME 3009, SL1210 and PL-71. Amps-NVA P50sa/A40's & Phono 1. CDP- Sony X555ES. Speakers-B&W 705 with LS1.
Headphone system Bushmaster II, Capella amp, Pi 3B+ with Hifiberry Digi+ Pro & Nighthawk cans.

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

This is not a how to guide I hope. It is to answer the questions I have answered before for people who can't be bothered to search for it. To put that in one place.

Each SEPARATE project is the how to, as they are all different. It is to get the person to learn for himself by doing it without the continuous thread waylaying or even thread creating in this case of questions designed to wind me up, because - "I mentioned to friend that i've modded some B&O's with doped drivers etc etc and he asked me to what advantage, and tbh i couldn't really explain. Is it to tune the driver so no overly complicated crossover is needed? And if so, why aren't more doing it? Looking at Audiotalk & other forums it seems some design a crossover to make a bad driver sound good" is *really* designed to wind me up. To question me with the crap coming out of the arses on other forums, especially as the OP knows from reading Audio Talk what is being questioned.

I am not in the slightest bit interested in having to re-go through other forum crap here or explain myself relative to them.

Ithilstone
EUROPEAN_UNION

Unread post by Ithilstone »

Post made - I think that cross between how to and FAQ will work the best as it will make it easier to start from general question and then dig dipper

2 min and first edit made ;] With very recent Doc explanation hehe
Nothing to see here...
I am in the hi-fi trade
Company Name: NVA Hi-Fi
https://nvahifi.co.uk/

Jonty2547
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by Jonty2547 »

Dr Bunsen Honeydew wrote: It is to answer the questions I have answered before for people who can't be bothered to search for it.
It's not a case of being bothered, there's hours of threads to look through and not everyone has the free time :doh:
A simple definitive post of members experiences and thoughts is all it needs. That's it. No more and no less.
TT- Thorens TD160B MKII with SME 3009, SL1210 and PL-71. Amps-NVA P50sa/A40's & Phono 1. CDP- Sony X555ES. Speakers-B&W 705 with LS1.
Headphone system Bushmaster II, Capella amp, Pi 3B+ with Hifiberry Digi+ Pro & Nighthawk cans.

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

We have a search box - enter Doc Mods and you get 119 pages.

Ithilstone
EUROPEAN_UNION

Well hopefully in couple of weeks we will have one post to rule them all one post to find them one post to bring them all and in the FAQu bind them :lol: :lol: :lol:
Nothing to see here...
I am in the hi-fi trade

Ithilstone
EUROPEAN_UNION

Well project is on hold due to technical difficulty - it looks like there is a limit of edits allowed - waiting for Terry to have a look into that
Nothing to see here...
I am in the hi-fi trade