Larger Semi-Omni Development

A place for DIY project discussions.
Dr Bunsen Honeydew
Has thanked: 0

Re: Larger Semi-Omni Development

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

What 12 inchers are you going to use. I have a couple of doped cheap ones here doing nothing. My 12 inch speaker project now is a Goodmans Magnum Doc Mod, and I prepared two drivers for it, but on receiving the cabs I have decided to mod the existing Goodmans 12 inchers.

The speaker drivers are PA / Disco type that I got from ebay for £15 each new :shock: they have a corrugated not roll surround but would be fairly easily converted. I was going to try them in original form and if they weren't working for acoustic suspension then put a roll on using one of the ebay repair kits. At £30 for the drivers it is nothing in reality and no loss and will get the project going.

SteveTheShadow
Great Britain

Unread post by SteveTheShadow »

Well, the thing is DQ.
I'v been practicing mindfulness and the power of the Now for nine months now, and in the end decided that resistance was futile.
I managed to stay present, not get emotional about it and have now changed the part of my life situation that was dragging me into conflict.
I feel better already.
I'll put up another drawing later this evening, of a slight change to the cabinet, then we can get some sensible discussion about the design going forward.
Somebody’s telling me the latest scandals.
Somebody’s stepping on my plastic sandals. Joe Jackson (1979)

SteveTheShadow
Great Britain

I'm going out now Doc, but I'll be back later this evening and we can discuss drivers and all that stuff.

Daniel Quinn

Unread post by Daniel Quinn »

Dr Bunsen Honeydew wrote: Fri Jun 30, 2017 2:55 pm DQ if you have a Nicaragua flag I think I may change mine to Cuba - I love the place. Or just do it for when I am there on holiday.
I picked that in a fit childish rebellion against the authoritarian forum telling me to pick a flag and there was no European one . Politically speaking it was not a good choice ,I picked it because it blended in to the background , it will be changed eventually . :lol:

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Terry - can we have an EU flag please.

Quarknosis

Unread post by Quarknosis »

Steve, I've only briefly looked at the Flatback Banned thread on AT, it looks an interesting design. Is it commercially available?
Main System. Amp - Luxman LV-120, CD - Pioneer PDX505 & Hitachi DA 401. Turntable - Trio KD-2055/Denon DL-110 & Ortofon VMS20E. Cassette Deck - JVC KD A55. Speakers - Arcam Alpha connected with NVA LS3.

Headphone System - Little Dot Mkiii headphone amp, various vintage CD players into NVA P50 with Sennheiser HD600 and Beyer DT 880

Thermionic Idler
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by Thermionic Idler »

SteveTheShadow wrote: Fri Jun 30, 2017 2:34 pm Well Doc,
After the latest snide little remark on another thread, clearly aimed at me, I've walked away from AT.
I bear Nick, Scott, Simon, Steve S, Ed, Paul, Chris, Phil, and all the other good friends I've made over the years, no malice, and hope to stay in touch with them privately but I don't see myself as fitting on the public forum anymore.
You won't escape some of us that easily :mrgreen:

By the way, for those that don't know, I'm Dave, and I bought Steve's old Mets off him after he'd built his first Omnis.
Last edited by Thermionic Idler on Fri Jun 30, 2017 7:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Tell us about that TT it looks nice. (new thread, maybe in intro).

wiicrackpot
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by wiicrackpot »

Hi Dave, knuckle tap for your first posts, enjoy this cesspit. :mrgreen:

How are the Omnisets?, i was hankering over them but decided to hang back for the 'banned' to come when Steve moves onwards and upwards. :grin:
Frank...made me do it.

SteveTheShadow
Great Britain

Hi Dave, lovely to see you here and welcome to the detestable cesspit. :)

Quarknosis re the speakers.
It might be a good idea, depending on where you are, for you to have a listen to the prototype Flatback Banned speaker, on a week's loan arrangement. If you PM me we might be able to work something out.
It is not commercially available, but could be in the future, sometime next year.
However if you like what you hear, I can let you have the prototype for what it cost me for the drivers and wood, so I can recover my outlay. Then I can reinvest it into building another for myself or towards the bigger one.
I'm not interested in making money at the moment, all I want to do, for the moment, is to get one or two out there, in the hands of people who will appreciate them.

I also have a retro radiogram project I have had on the back burner for a few months now. That needs moving on too.
Plenty to keep me occupied. :)