2. No spamming or shilling
SteveTheShadow
Great Britain

Re: JJ 2A3-40 DHT Single ended triode, power amplifier

Unread post by SteveTheShadow » Sat Jan 20, 2018 11:43 am

Love that video!

Eccentricity personified. :grin:
Gotta love Herb.
BTE Designs modified Lenco L75 idler turntable, Rega R200 Tonearm, Goldring E3 MM cartridge, NVA Phono1 phono stage.
Mac-Mini music server with iTunes, AppleTV4 media streamer, Musical Fidelity M1 DAC,
NVA A20/P20, 25WPC stereo power amplifier/passive control unit,
own design, semi-omnidirectional, transmission line speakers- "The Flatback Banned".

SteveTheShadow
Great Britain

Unread post by SteveTheShadow » Sat Jan 20, 2018 12:34 pm

I'm going to put in a few more words of wisdom from crazy Herb.

Personally in terms of my electronics efforts, I absolutely Identify with what he says below. Why? Simple!...I'm one of those unstable, arty types, who over the years, has failed to ask the right questions of those capable of answering them, so have struggled a bit as a consequence, to get beyond the "good" and move towards the "great" system.

Over to Herb, Talking about a 2A3 amp he built, with a lot of support from some very clever people:

I have a confession to make. By any rational standard, I am not qualified to design an audio amplifier. I have built every feasible circuit. I have read dozens of books and even studied in the classroom of my mentor Arthur Loesch. Still, after almost twenty years of trying, I feel radically unprepared for the chore.

I am a slow learner and I have the worst memory in the world, which may be an asset but it sure is embarrassment. I sound like a darn fool when discussing mathematical problems. I continue to ask the same dumb questions and rely on the advice and consul of guys like Steve Berger, J.C. Morrison, Komuro, Andy Grove, Kondo and Nobu Shishido. Without their help this amplifier would not exist.

On close examination, the only real talents I can muster are a basic ability to paint pictures and a potential to (sometimes) be quiet and listen. My (imagined?) capacity to glimpse a painting, read poem or visualize the forces of nature is the source of my belief that I can indeed design audio amplifiers.

What finally focussed my attention, after twelve years of building around thirty different amps, was the NVA A20/P20 I bought off Richard in the summer. The sound of this combo was a revelation and became the goal to work towards with my DIY efforts.

That my choice of amp NVA amplification, and my design of a semi-omni speaker that was a bit like an NVA Cube (horrors) resulted in a torrent of abuse and ridicule and very nearly killed my interest in hi-fi is in the record. Glad I didn't let the twats get their way (it was touch and go) in the end, as I have ended up with a cracking little system.
BTE Designs modified Lenco L75 idler turntable, Rega R200 Tonearm, Goldring E3 MM cartridge, NVA Phono1 phono stage.
Mac-Mini music server with iTunes, AppleTV4 media streamer, Musical Fidelity M1 DAC,
NVA A20/P20, 25WPC stereo power amplifier/passive control unit,
own design, semi-omnidirectional, transmission line speakers- "The Flatback Banned".

Lotus Seven S
Denmark

Unread post by Lotus Seven S » Sat Jan 20, 2018 9:01 pm

I'm one of those unstable, arty types
Nice!
I am not a number. I am a free man