15Amp AC plugs and sockets

A place for DIY project discussions.
Lupus-Dei
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: 15Amp AC plugs and sockets

Unread post by Lupus-Dei »

I see that this company are offering to Silver plate UK mains plug pins, might this offer any meaningful conductivity advantage over the incombent brass pins of UK 15 amp plungerry ? A mute point for my part as being in the main a Schuko kinda guy.

http://www.the-missing-link.net/new_page_1.htm

Geoff.R.G
Great Britain

Unread post by Geoff.R.G »

Lupus-Dei wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2017 3:21 pm I see that this company are offering to Silver plate UK mains plug pins, might this offer any meaningful conductivity advantage over the incombent brass pins of UK 15 amp plungerry ? A mute point for my part as being in the main a Schuko kinda guy.

They offer LP12 upgrades. That pretty much says it all really. Silver isn't as good a conductor as copper and tarnishes quite quickly especially when exposed to light. I wouldn't bother.

Lupus-Dei

Geoff.R.G wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2017 5:48 pm
Lupus-Dei wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2017 3:21 pm I see that this company are offering to Silver plate UK mains plug pins, might this offer any meaningful conductivity advantage over the incombent brass pins of UK 15 amp plungerry ? A mute point for my part as being in the main a Schuko kinda guy.

They offer LP12 upgrades. That pretty much says it all really. Silver isn't as good a conductor as copper and tarnishes quite quickly especially when exposed to light. I wouldn't bother.
Geoff, I think that you need to research a little before altering the accepted table of conductivity, whilst Silver is marginally *More* conductive than Copper, we are discussing the metal utilized in the construction of Uk 15 ampers which happens to be an alloy Viz. Brass, which is notably less conductive than either Copper and more pertinently Silver, albe it a plating. Now whether one may perceive any audible differences be a whole nuther matter.

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

They don't do a 15amp, all I saw when I wasted my time looking was UK 13amp and kettle plugs (IEC).

BTW BS546 (type M) was officially rated at 16 amp, 15 amp just became some common description for some reason. Measured and specc-ed the same way Schuko is rated at 16 amp as well.

Lupus-Dei

Indeed Richard, however they do offer a service to Silver plate pretty much anything one may desire, ones own 15 Amp pins at £5 a pop, Great Auntie Edith's Urn, ones false teeth etc.etc.

As per my original caviat, such a process may well increase electrical conductivity on paper, whether audibly perceptible I could not say, other than any 15 amp UK mains plug, brass conductors or otherwise, should out sonic any fused 13 amp plug, copper or silver plated, I am merely intrigued as to the potential or otherwise of an Silver plated 15 amp mains plug.

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

As has been said silver corrodes (oxidises) and needs cleaning regularly. Gold may not be quite as good conductor, which at these levels of difference is unimportant, but it is completely inert, but as with all plating it wears off, you may think it is all nice and shiny but high points wearing and any grit means it is the base metal that is conducting.

Lupus-Dei

I quite agree, at the levels and quantities we are discussing here it may be all mute.

Hmmmm, silver sulphide is a semi conductor and will therefore conduct electricity, but nevertheless it will reduce the surface conductivity of the silver. To what extent will depend on the thickness of the tarnish. Surface tranish will not affect the bulk conductivity unless the "bulk" thickness is very thin. When silver contacts are used, one of the factors that make them good is that the silver is soft and when rubbed against the other contact, it cleans itself and smears, so good metal-metal contact can be sustained. However, if the contcats are not designed to do this, there could be a longer term problem with an accumulation of low conductivity sulphides and oxides. Basically, any potential loss in conductivity depends on the design of the contact.
After all....How often does one physically unplug the mains power contacts Anyhoo.

Silver plating does brings its own set of compromises however, Perhaps It all boils down to contact pressure and the level of mechanical usage, IF you do put gold over silver, be aware that the silver will walk right thru the gold in a few days, so best practice should use a barrier like nickel or palladium.

In practice I tend to opt for Gold plated high purity copper contacts and not obsess over oxidation, or solid high purity silver contact pins and employ a regular clean up regimen.

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

So what has this thread been about.

Lupus-Dei

Alchemy, Flummery and crafting the Purest Green as far as I can see LoL .

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Are you sure you don't work for them.