15Amp AC plugs and sockets

A place for DIY project discussions.
Geoff.R.G
Great Britain

Re: 15Amp AC plugs and sockets

Unread post by Geoff.R.G »

Lupus-Dei wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2017 6:37 pm
Geoff.R.G wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2017 5:48 pm
Lupus-Dei wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2017 3:21 pm I see that this company are offering to Silver plate UK mains plug pins, might this offer any meaningful conductivity advantage over the incombent brass pins of UK 15 amp plungerry ? A mute point for my part as being in the main a Schuko kinda guy.

http://www.the-missing-link.net/new_page_1.htm
They offer LP12 upgrades. That pretty much says it all really. Silver isn't as good a conductor as copper and tarnishes quite quickly especially when exposed to light. I wouldn't bother.
Geoff, I think that you need to research a little before altering the accepted table of conductivity, whilst Silver is marginally *More* conductive than Copper, we are discussing the metal utilized in the construction of Uk 15 ampers which happens to be an alloy Viz. Brass, which is notably less conductive than either Copper and more pertinently Silver, albe it a plating. Now whether one may perceive any audible differences be a whole nuther matter.
I didn't say it was less conductive, I said it wasn't as good a conductor that is because it tarnishes which introduces other problems. If you silver plate brass you introduce another set of problems, unless you strip the plug completely and plate the whole pin, in which case the Silver on the surface will be the conductor.

I am unconvinced that simply plating a connector makes any significant difference except that Gold will prevent surface corrosion. A much better option with a mains plug would be to substitute a different alloy, no I can't remember which one might be an improvement. However the limiting factor is the contact area between pin and receptacle and in this respect the 13A plug is pretty poor.

Alfi
Wales

Unread post by Alfi »

I have 5 off brand new MK BS546 15 A round pin plugs here.

If anyone would like them £5 ea including P&P via PayPal gift. Please PM me with your requirements.

Alfi.
I am in the hi-fi trade.
Company Name: Analogue innovation.

Geoff.R.G
Great Britain

Alfi wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2018 1:48 pm I have 5 off brand new MK BS546 15 A round pin plugs here.

If anyone would like them £5 ea including P&P via PayPal gift. Please PM me with your requirements.

Alfi.
My local stockist has Volex ones for £2.95

Alfi
Wales

Unread post by Alfi »

Well if you don't want MK ones posted to you buy them as at that cost they're a bargain.
I am in the hi-fi trade.
Company Name: Analogue innovation.

Geoff.R.G
Great Britain

Alfi wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2018 3:20 pm Well if you don't want MK ones posted to you buy them as at that cost they're a bargain.
Thanks for that, I was surprised when I saw them, anyone near Ruislip they are/were in Homeflair.